2GB Corsair vs G.Skill and Ballistix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So I know the standard recommendation is to go with Crucial Ballistix or G.Skill over Corsair, is there a significant reason or just usually better priced? I'm wondering because I'm looking at 2GB of Corsair right now for under $50.00 at Tigerdirect.ca for another build.

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Can't see the downside but i'm no RAM expert....opinions? Worth snatching up? The build won't be until the summer but I'm shopping now hoping to pick up the deals as they come along.

ballistix are made from highly regarded ram chips. They're parent company Micron is used in higher end ram like,
ie:
Corsair Dominator
Geil
G.Skill HZ's
Team Group
Transcend axeram
They're cheap because of factory direct pricing and they use the best chips regardless of model, unlike most ram mfr.

i found any ram with decent 4-4-4 timings will perform great. ocz constantly have good deals while mushkins are pretty well performing as well.

yea you always want to get cas4 ddr2 ram. I'm thinking about selling my ram. I want these transcend axeram. Oc's to 1400mhz or Geil bd evo's. They get power str8 from the psu instead of MB.

So I know the standard recommendation is to go with Crucial Ballistix or G.Skill over Corsair, is there a significant reason or just usually better priced? I'm wondering because I'm looking at 2GB of Corsair right now for under $50.00 at Tigerdirect.ca for another build.

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Can't see the downside but i'm no RAM expert....opinions? Worth snatching up? The build won't be until the summer but I'm shopping now hoping to pick up the deals as they come along.

under 50 after rebate. I saw Ballistix somewhere cheaper then that without rebate hassle

Yeah...except I can't buy from newegg...they have something against us Canadians :p.

I can't remember 2GB of Ballistix going under $50.00 here, close on rare occasions but not under. Anyways, not a big deal, I was just curious as to the above RAM's quality vs the ballistix and G.Skill. From the answers I'm seeing I guess it's good RAM and the price is very good for here in Canada, but it's not an exceptional deal. I'll hold out for the Ballistix or G. Skill, there's is no hurry.

Thanks for the replies.

Well, what do ya know...looks like someone at NCIX was listening:

NCIX.com - Buy Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - BL2KIT12864AA804 In Canada.

That's about as low as I've seen it anywhere in Canada....now if just they'd return my calls/emails regarding the USB stick I bought, they billed me for but never received. Freakn' 20minutes on hold now 3 times and got an answering machine each time....who puts you on hold for 20 minutes for an answering machine????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom