$250-$300 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patonb, I am planning on purchasing windows 7 but do you have an idea for a build that had a total hardware cost of close to $300. Ideally my whole setup with windows 7 os would be around $400.

Unless I'm reading you wrong, that is what we are trying to do. But you are not going to get much better than we already posted.

I'm sorry if that was taken the wrong way. I do love the build that jasonalwaysready put together, but it is a little over my budget at about $400 for the hardware once I add in a case. Patonb seemed confident that a build for $300 before the operating system was possible and easy so I am wondering what his ideas are since that is really what I am looking for. Thanks guys!

I haven't built you something yet, but theres currently 2 bundle deals on neweggs combo pages under $350. Though 1 uses a green drive as its main drive.

I'm short of time right now, but will build up something of okay quality... do you need the hdmi?

Thanks patonb. I really appreciate it. No, I don't need the hdmi, the optical audio, or the gigabit ethernet. They were cool additions that would be nice but unnecessary. I'm also not looking for a ridiculous amount of hard drive space. 500 gb or a little more would be sufficient for my needs. If you think the money for a larger hard drive could be put towards a better cpu , a better motherboard, or more ram I would be completely fine with that. Thanks again for all of your help!

That looks really good patonb! If I was to go with the quad core would you recommend using the same motherboard? I also noticed that the quad core you linked to doesn't provide a heatsink. Do you have a recommendation for one? Do you think the upgrade to the quad core would be worth it? I feel like I should get the best that I can for my budget. Would it be complete overkill for my situation though? Thanks so much for all of your help!

Crap, didnt notice the cpu was oem.

Any am3,2+ hsf would be fine, **** steal it from a freind ;). Or just get this one, it's abit faster and has a fan for $20 more:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

The mobo is just fine for the x4, don't know the quality of the board, but it will last and do what you need. All mobos are pretty much equal at nthis price.

The x2 will be plenty, the x4 will be plenty in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom