no comment on psu
i don't think the GT 240 out perform the hd 4670 though
GT 240 have similar to 9600GT performance
hd 4670 beats 9600GT most of the time

no comment on psu
i don't think the GT 240 out perform the hd 4670 though
GT 240 have similar to 9600GT performance
hd 4670 beats 9600GT most of the time

Where do you see benches of a 4670 beating a 9600 GT 'most of the time'?

Game Benchmarks: Far Cry 2 - Review Tom's Hardware : GeForce GT 240: Low Power, High Performance, Sub-$100

I mean, I've looked at even more benches and reviews.
My recommendation between the 4670 and GT 240... Is... Go with whichever is cheaper. XD

the 9600gt and 4670 are about on par, some games the 4670 is ahead, some the 9600gt. By what i have seen, if memory serves, the 9600gt is for the majority better.

it has nothign to do with the power draw what so ever. It has to do with the quality of the psu, and the quality of that psu is not good. You should NEVER run a computer on a crap psu, that is a sure fire way to get it to blow and take things with it. If there is any part in a computer that should not be cheaped out on it is the PSU. ALSO the 450vx was an example, not the exact psu he should get. Looking over the prices on newegg, the best psu that i can see for the cheapest amount is the antec earth watts 380w....its $39, or the antec earth watts 430. I mean the hec would get you by, but personally i think its pointless to buy that psu, when for like $10 you can ge the antec.

Customer Reviews Of hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included - Retail

Customer Reviews Of hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included - Retail

I think that if it can run those setups, it won't have any problems with a 4670.

As far as quality.
You can spend more money to stack the odds in your favor a little higher, but if you're going to get a dead/dying/DOA part, it's going to happen.
Even name brand PSUs have DOAs from time to time.

And OP's power draw will be so low, even if the PSU is a failure and doesn't run half of it's spec, it's still enough to run his system.
There's so much power supply paranoia on these forums, o_O.
Has someone posted those PSU test videos where they blow a few up or something? LoL
Or are you guys afraid of Chinese capacitors?
I'd say that'd be legitimate.

2618014599_f149dfbaa0_o.jpg

^those are newegg reviews lol.....every one knows that you never let those have an weight. But also, it is not just doa, the lower quality/cheaper the psu, the higher the failure rate will be. But hey, its the OP's choice what he wants to do.

I am much in the same position as OP; won't need a OS (using an old XP), monitor, periphrals, etc. I'd like to spend in the same range, but I wouldn't mind upping the price if it meant I wouldn't have to upgrade down the line.

Is the build suggested above a lasting one? My PC gaming is non-existant at the moment, but I'd like to run things at medium+ settings around 50-60 fps. I currently run WoW on my laptop, raiding at literally 11 fps, sometimes dropping to 4-5. I'm willing to spend about 100-150 more than OP to ensure I'll be able to play new releases down the line, as well as some of the games currently out now that I haven't been able to on my current machine.

(GPU-wise, would the 5750 or 5770 be a more lasting choice for around double the price? That's around the ceiling I'd be willing to spend on a card.)

Sorry if this is a thread-jack, OP looked like he was satisfied with that build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom