$200 for computer upgrade parts. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder

Solid State Member
Hi all.
I've got $200 to upgrade a computer not including a mouse keyboard or display. I'd like to be able to use it for fairly new games(such as source, america's army, and dod) and daily use. My friend was kind enough to supply a case, power, and hard drive which means i need a mobo/cpu, ram, and a graphics card.
I did a lot of research and found that the sempron outperformed the celeron in most cases so i'd like to buy a mobo/cpu combo with that. I was also thinking about 1 gig of ram and maybe $50 left over for a video card.

What i'm really looking for is suggestions on what to get and comments on my decisions. Thanks.

i would wait a little longer save up a bit more, ur working with a very very tight budget...
the parts that you could buy now u wouldnt be able to upgrade later, earlier version cpu socket, prob agp slot, ddr ram etc etc

Actually i was able to find a PCI express video card and ddr2 ram mobo for fairly cheap. I don't know about the cpu socket though. I'm not planning on doing any more upgrades after this. I'm just gonna leave it until it dies on me and i'll have to get a new one.I'd basically like the bare minimums to play games atm. Thanks though.

i think i forgot to mention that i already have CD drives too.

Well thats one thing i'm not sure about. The stuff i read said amd but most of it was 1 or 2 years old. I'm not sure if they still apply. I'll leave it up to you. Whichever performs better.

You though Sempron would be better than Celeron... till now...

The Celeron D 300 series would be comparable to the K8 Semprons. But now, the new Celeron 400's are based on the Core 2 Duo Conroe core so its performance is comparable to the Athlon 64 3200+ and since is based on the conroe, its able to overclock to 3ghz with some decent cooling.

So i would suggest:
Newegg.com - Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

You though Sempron would be better than Celeron... till now...

The Celeron D 300 series would be comparable to the K8 Semprons. But now, the new Celeron 400's are based on the Core 2 Duo Conroe core so its performance is comparable to the Athlon 64 3200+ and since is based on the conroe, its able to overclock to 3ghz with some decent cooling.

So i would suggest:
Newegg.com - Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

yep... i was looking for that..... i looked up conroe l and got nothing, its "conroe-l" who knew!!!! but thats a heckuva a chip.... based on the c2d which is based on Pentium 3

that is an incredibly tight budget for those sort of games. do you mean DOD source or DOD original? the bare minimum for a graphics card for source is, im guessing around £50. when i made my first build i found a P4 3.2Ghz with a Geforce 7300GS to serve my very nicely for source, and that cost me about £120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom