20+4 Pin? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to LeftEyeBlind
Default 20+4 Pin?

Howdy again, I'm getting ready to order my upgrade parts, and I looked into my PC to make sure I had a 20+4 PSU, But for the life of me I can't find the +4 cord, and the 20 pin cord doesn't look like it has any connecters on the side to hook up to the extra 4 pins, I looked on new egg and found a computer case almost like mine, with an included power supply.. The power supply has the same model as the one I have and it has a 20+4 connecter, if the model number is the same does that mean I must have a 20+4 connecter instead of just a 20? Is it just lost in there?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: 20+4 Pin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinteenNinetySeven View Post
Howdy again, I'm getting ready to order my upgrade parts, and I looked into my PC to make sure I had a 20+4 PSU, But for the life of me I can't find the +4 cord, and the 20 pin cord doesn't look like it has any connecters on the side to hook up to the extra 4 pins, I looked on new egg and found a computer case almost like mine, with an included power supply.. The power supply has the same model as the one I have and it has a 20+4 connecter, if the model number is the same does that mean I must have a 20+4 connecter instead of just a 20? Is it just lost in there?
That comment reminds me of my memory issues - bought two sets of Corsair RAM awhile back - one year apart. One had 8 chips on one side while the other had 4 on each. (My crappy motherboard at the time wouldn't work with the different pairs.)

Your PSU has a limited amount of wires - if you looked and don't see it, I'd say it doesn't exist. You can get the adapter for a few bucks...dang shipping is like twice the item cost though, hah.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to LeftEyeBlind

Heh, I found my PSU on the RaidMax site however my PSU doesn't have the entire model name on it, its missing the RX-XXX number that ALL their PSUs have which is curious.

Would having thr 4 pins give me more power that an adapter will not? will this give me any problems?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mike9182

Yes, here is a link

Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You don't need the extra 4 pins if your PSU supplies a good amount of power. (12v 15 amp +)
Closed Thread