2 questions (i7, and overclocking or new pc time?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
I have a Q6600, 2.4ghz, and I was tweedling around on newegg and saw that someone had overclocked theirs to 333 mhz, without any heat increase or other consequences, is it safe to step mine up from factory to 333? and how would the performance compare to the Q9550 @ 2.8 ghz? (link: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops) if its safer to go with the new cpu I will buy that if the performance is that much better...

also, the new Core i7, my next computer will definitely be using one of these processors, but I just want to verify you need a new mobo to run one of these right? i'm not sure if I want to upgrade mobo and cpu just yet...

thanks alot all!

-Drew

Its is rare to overclock any processor without an increase in temparture, but it does happen.

Overclocking is only reccomended if you have a non-stock heatsink and thermal paste, as well as the knowledge base that you need to take it slow and allow time for stability testing.

Most Q6600 can do 3 Ghz (334 X 9) without any tweaking. But you have to try it for yourself.

You also don't need to buy a new proccessor if your going to overclock your Q6600.

Also, depending on when you will be upgrading, we might be beyond the Core i7. I bought my last computer just when doom 3 came out, and Pentium 4 (single core) was about the best I could do. All depends on when you upgrade though.
-Pure

also, the new Core i7, my next computer will definitely be using one of these processors, but I just want to verify you need a new mobo to run one of these right? i'm not sure if I want to upgrade mobo and cpu just yet...

thanks alot all!

-Drew

Yes you need a new motherboard and ram to run the i7. The i7 is a 1336 socket and runs with triple channel ddr3 RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom