2 questions (i7, and overclocking or new pc time?) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default 2 questions (i7, and overclocking or new pc time?)

I have a Q6600, 2.4ghz, and I was tweedling around on newegg and saw that someone had overclocked theirs to 333 mhz, without any heat increase or other consequences, is it safe to step mine up from factory to 333? and how would the performance compare to the Q9550 @ 2.8 ghz? (link: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops) if its safer to go with the new cpu I will buy that if the performance is that much better...

also, the new Core i7, my next computer will definitely be using one of these processors, but I just want to verify you need a new mobo to run one of these right? i'm not sure if I want to upgrade mobo and cpu just yet...

thanks alot all!

-Drew

Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: 2 questions (i7, and overclocking or new pc time?)

Its is rare to overclock any processor without an increase in temparture, but it does happen.

Overclocking is only reccomended if you have a non-stock heatsink and thermal paste, as well as the knowledge base that you need to take it slow and allow time for stability testing.

Most Q6600 can do 3 Ghz (334 X 9) without any tweaking. But you have to try it for yourself.

You also don't need to buy a new proccessor if your going to overclock your Q6600.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

my q6600 (which is for sale ) can do 3.15ghz on the stock voltage.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Also, depending on when you will be upgrading, we might be beyond the Core i7. I bought my last computer just when doom 3 came out, and Pentium 4 (single core) was about the best I could do. All depends on when you upgrade though.
-Pure
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjustforyou View Post
also, the new Core i7, my next computer will definitely be using one of these processors, but I just want to verify you need a new mobo to run one of these right? i'm not sure if I want to upgrade mobo and cpu just yet...

thanks alot all!

-Drew
Yes you need a new motherboard and ram to run the i7. The i7 is a 1336 socket and runs with triple channel ddr3 RAM.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread