1st time builder wanting some suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default 1st time builder wanting some suggestions

I am wanting to put together a system that will be used primarily for photo or video editing and large storage of media.

Since this is my first attempt at a build I am a complete "newbie" to the whole process. Likewise I do not have any components that I can recycle from older systems.

Since I need large storage space I am thinking of going with the Antec 1200 case. Other than case selection though I am at a complete loss as to where to even start selecting components.

Multiple Hard drives with around 4-6TB storage space (want to do internal backups)
HDMI interface for plugging in 52" TV that I use as a second monitor
Blu-ray drive / DVD writer
Ability not to bog down while playing a Blu-ray and performing simple video editing at the same time.

Under / around $1000 - 1500 (if possible)

If you could provide me with component suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: 1st time builder wanting some suggestions

Take a walk around Newegg. It's not that hard.

You're going to need a more powerful graphics card with that type of multitasking.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: 1st time builder wanting some suggestions

It is that hard if you are a "newbie" attempting your first build.

sds01, I would recommend Intel cpu's (I'm not a fanboi; love AMD but not a fanboi either) because for audio/video editing/rendering modeling/applications/compression, etc . Intel is the better of the two by far.
Closed Thread