1st Time Builder- HELP w choosing Hardware for a BUDGET system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on several reviews I read, looking at the original CPU MuffinMan listed for me was the Phenom II X2 550BE Callisto that everyone raved about having the ability to unlock the 2 cores, making it a 4 core @ 3.1Ghz which was BLAZIN FAST out of the box!! We changed it because they dropped the combo. I want to be careful not to choose components just because of the combo deals! Could that be my best bet for a CPU??? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Grrrrr I'm getting analysis paralysis and need to finalize my selections so I can place my order by Mon or Tues!! I've narrowed it down to these CPU / MOBOs:

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

So If the Phen II X2 had unlocked cores would it blow the oher 2 CPUs away, since the benchmark testing is done on stock CPU (2 cores)???

MOBO:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

It seems the difference is with the Ati Radeon on board video : 3300 (790) vs 4200 (785)
Chipsets are also different (SB710 vs. SB750). Does the SB750 give more in terms of ability to unlock cores or overclocking ability???? The 790 also has more PCI Express slots.

I probably will add the ATI 4850 video card later on, so would it make sense to get the inferior MOBO to get the better onboard graphics???

What would you purchase:confused:

PS: I just found this article that may shed some light on the subject!@
AnandTech: Gigabyte's GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H - AMD's 785G is Here, Sort of...

I would go with the X3, although it is the most expensive. I wouldn't bet too much on unlocking cores, as it was mostly only possible with the first couple batches/steppings of the chips. They've all (except the althon II) have been out for a while now.

You probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference between any of those chips. Except the althon II and the X2, under extreme multitasking the quad core would definitely come out ahead. If you don't plan to overclock or anything then for sure go with the Althon II. Otherwise I'd say the phenom II x3 if you've got some room in your budget. It's just why pay more for a dual core with the callisto then less for a quad?

That makes alot of sense! I read a ton of reviews on the Athlon II X4 620 and it looks pretty impressive. It was overclocked to 3.5GHz!

I think the Athlon II X4 620 will be my best bet, along with one of the 785 MOBOs! I am leaning towards these two:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

GIGABYTE or BIOSTAR seem to be very solid boards. The BIOSTAR has the 128mb sideboard memory for the on-board RADEON HD4200 graphics. I do not think GIG board has this? Will there be a huge draw on the system memory without having the sideboard memory?

Finalizing my FIRST BUILD!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS??

CASE: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

MOBO/MEMORY: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

PSU/HDD: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

CD/DVD: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

TOTAL $540- 65 (MIR) = $475 SHIPPED!

Any other materials need for build that I have forgotten? Do I need thermal paste?

Is everything compatible?? Is DDR2 800 memory sufficient? Any component I should change??

The guys (Muffin, Trotter, Dirk) on this site have been VERY HELPFUL! Thanks again!!
Paul

you can ditch the wrist strap, just dont put your rig together while shuffling your feet on a carpet or something, just touch the bare metal, the unpainted parts of the case ;)

everything else looks good. had you considered the case i suggested before, which is the exact same antec 300 case (illusion), but it comes already with 4 blue led fans pre-installed, instead of having to buy two separete fans like you listed earlier. it would also save you like $3, nothing big, but still.
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

happy building.

Oh ya, I forgot about that!! They do look pretty cool. Can u turn those lights off if they get annoying??

I will ditch the wrist guard and spend the 3.49 on a TACO!!:D

Thanks Muffin Master!! :cool:

no you cant, unless you cut the led out. it would be the same with the apevia fan. you could always get plain fans if you want.

btw, that would be an expensive taco..

MOTHERBOARD Question???

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

GIGABYTE or BIOSTAR seem to be very solid boards. The BIOSTAR has the 128mb sideboard memory for the on-board RADEON HD4200 graphics. I do not think GIG board has this? Will there be a huge draw on the system memory without having the sideboard memory?

Any benefit to microAtx board or just for space concerns if you are using a small case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom