1GB or 2x512mb RAM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 66
Default 1GB or 2x512mb RAM

WHich would have the best performance 1 gb stick or 2x512 in dual channel?
__________________

viper15 is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx
Default

1x 1GB Stick.
__________________

massacreinfallx is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 559
Default

I think 2x512 would give slightly better performance, but for future upgradeability, I'd stick with one 1GB stick.
__________________
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
magouster is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by magouster
I think 2x512 would give slightly better performance, but for future upgradeability, I'd stick with one 1GB stick.
mm nope im pretty sure the 1x 1GB Stick would be better performance..
massacreinfallx is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 559
Default

Keep in mind the effect dual-channel has. Anybody else want to comment? I'm willing to bet good money 2x512MB is better than a single 1GB stick.
__________________
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
magouster is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by magouster
Keep in mind the effect dual-channel has. Anybody else want to comment? I'm willing to bet good money 2x512MB is better than a single 1GB stick.
lol well i still think 1x 1GB would be better, because i tested a system with 4x512 MB (2 GB) and one with 2x 1GB(2GB) and the 2x1GB was better..

so im using that theory here,

does anybody else have any input?
massacreinfallx is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 559
Default

Well 4x512 and 2x512 isn't quite the same thing. Because of limitations in the A64 memory controller, or the motherboards, it forces the RAM to run with either a 2T timing, or revert back to 166MHz instead of the full 200MHz. That's just the way it is when filling up RAM slots on these mobos. And that is the reason I recommended he gets a single 1GB stick, so that he shouldn't have to deal with the 4x512 scenario later if he feels like upgrading RAM.
__________________
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
magouster is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by magouster
Well 4x512 and 2x512 isn't quite the same thing. Because of limitations in the A64 memory controller, or the motherboards, it forces the RAM to run with either a 2T timing, or revert back to 166MHz instead of the full 200MHz. That's just the way it is when filling up RAM slots on these mobos. And that is the reason I recommended he gets a single 1GB stick, so that he shouldn't have to deal with the 4x512 scenario later if he feels like upgrading RAM.
oh okay now i agree. because 2x 1GB sticks are better performance than 1x 2GB stick.

but still, hes going to want to upgrade the ram to 2 gb sooner or later so just get one stick of 1GB
massacreinfallx is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 559
Default

But that's what I've been saying! The 2x512 will perform better, but a single 1GB stick is better for upgradeability!

Quote:
oh okay now i agree. because 2x 1GB sticks are better performance than 1x 2GB stick.
Umm, yes, just like 2x512 will perform better than a single 1GB stick (dual channel). So you're saying exactly what I'm saying, you just don't know it.
__________________
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
magouster is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 66
Default

Thanks, I was thinking on getting the 1 gb stick and just wanted to make sure.
__________________

viper15 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.