15GB IDE Maxtor 31536U2 double up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr236rk

Baseband Member
Hi,

i have a Pent3 which i use for occasional projects - but the hard drive is filling up with i don't know what ~ otherwise i could decant a lot of it.

inside the pc there seems to be space for a second hard drive -

how can i determine if this P3 can support a second HDD please?

there's endless IDE cable + connections floating around inside - and the old HDD is still available as a recon item

thanks

kr

Before you are fully given the go ahead.... make sure you have an open IDE connection (on the long, flat cable connected to your other drive, or at least another port on the motherboard for another IDE ribbon cable), as well as an open power connector (4-pin in your case, should look the same as the one connected to your current IDE HDD).

And like MikeFury said, if you're going to get a drive that exceeds 120GB, update to XP SP2 or SP3, otherwise it won't recognize all of the available space.

:cool:

wow thanks guys!

i'm gonna photo the IDE cabling - already shifted 1/2 GB data to CD & defragged what was left: was shocked to find so much of the old HDD full up with stuff, honestly don't know what it is: Microsoft Updates?

think the MOBO will only take the 15GB HDD's so that should be okay anyway - it's not that i need all this space it's that with the current HDD gone over the 50% mark doing things like a virus scan takes hours, i need to free up or create some more space to help this system run a little smoother

will update ;)

kr

hi,

here are some merged pictures/details of the P3. This is the hard drive + spare slot

DanHDDmerge.jpg

have found 3 spare IDE plugs, 2 primary (broad, grey and black) and one secondary (black/short)

this grey primary one [below] probably used to plug into one of two optical readers (only one dvd in place now):

DanprimaryIDEmerge.jpg

the below black IDE plug probably slotted into the zip drive which i have now removed:

DanprimaryIDE2merge.jpg

then there is this secondary(?) IDE plug which seems to have always been spare, it is shorter than the other two:

DansecondaryIDEmerge.jpg

so which plug would i use for the recon HDD please - i'd guess the black broad one which used to connect the zip drive?

btw, there are other (not IDE) plugs and sockets on the mobo - love to know what they're doing there!
;)

thanks again

kr

I'd use the same channel as the other HDD.

ok thanks ~ guess i'm restricted to 5400rpm HDD which is the speed of the original hard drive: seems logical to have both drives 'balanced' as much as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom