$1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop?

Desktop vs. Laptop on $1000 budget

• Desktop even AFTER using partial budget for new monitor/keyboard/etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laptop with it's all-in-one benefit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHawks73

Baseband Member
My lappy got smacked in the mouth by some lightning and now the ethernet card, and both of the USB ports on the right side are dead.

I also play LOTRO and got my GF hooked on it and I want to duo level with her as she is really enjoying the game, but we need another computer...

I have only used a laptop the last 7-10 years (at home and work) but I dont really have a strong preference for either a lappy or desktop.

Anyways to my question.

If I had a $800-1000 budget, would I be better off getting a gaming laptop that can run LOTRO at high (not even very high/ultra) settings, or would the desktop still be better off even AFTER I bought all the accessories, such as a keyboard, monitor (I have a old mouse I could use), etc?

My current lappy is a HP dv9640us and the only thing that is holding it back game-wise is the 1.5Ghz duo processor...

I have no preference with either Intel or AMD, 4-6GB of ram is fine, 3.0+Ghz processor, Ive heard SSD's are nice if I could combo that with a 500GB HD or so, if not anything between 500gb-1tb HD is enough... I dont know about anything else.

What do yall think? Will I be able to build a better desktop on a 1k budget before the monitor/keyboard/etc, or will the all-in-one Lappy be a better choice. Remember, I spend 90% of my time on the computer gaming, and the other 10% surfing the web/you tubes/email/other minor stuff.

Thanks!!

PS If I get a lappy, I would probably buy from a local Best Buy or something, if I was going with the desktop, I would get from newegg... one or the other will most likely be bought on black friday...but dont take that into too much consideration... but If I could get a LOT better build/buy going from a 1000 budget to 1100... I could probably make that back on the black friday discount...

if you don't mind buying used, I've got a complete setup I could sell to you for $939.99 shipped? (within lower 48 of US)

windows 7 home premium.
cpu intel core i5 750 quad core
motherboard gigabyte p55a-ud3 w/ USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps
ram 2 x 2GB corsair dominators 1600 mhz
video XFX GTX 275 w/ lifetime warranty.
psu corsair HX650W 80+ silver and modular cabling
hdd western digital 500GB RE2 enterprise class sata hard drive
19" 1440 x 900 widescreen lcd monitor brand can't remember right now, but generic brand from best buy.
2.1 speaker set - also generic brand
keyboard - logitech keyboard, forgot model.
mouse razer diamondback 3g
case- random case
dscn1398dz2.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom