$1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
View Poll Results: Desktop vs. Laptop on $1000 budget
Desktop even AFTER using partial budget for new monitor/keyboard/etc. 1 100.00%
Laptop with it's all-in-one benefit 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 40
Question $1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop?

My lappy got smacked in the mouth by some lightning and now the ethernet card, and both of the USB ports on the right side are dead.

I also play LOTRO and got my GF hooked on it and I want to duo level with her as she is really enjoying the game, but we need another computer...

I have only used a laptop the last 7-10 years (at home and work) but I dont really have a strong preference for either a lappy or desktop.

Anyways to my question.

If I had a $800-1000 budget, would I be better off getting a gaming laptop that can run LOTRO at high (not even very high/ultra) settings, or would the desktop still be better off even AFTER I bought all the accessories, such as a keyboard, monitor (I have a old mouse I could use), etc?

My current lappy is a HP dv9640us and the only thing that is holding it back game-wise is the 1.5Ghz duo processor...

I have no preference with either Intel or AMD, 4-6GB of ram is fine, 3.0+Ghz processor, Ive heard SSD's are nice if I could combo that with a 500GB HD or so, if not anything between 500gb-1tb HD is enough... I dont know about anything else.

What do yall think? Will I be able to build a better desktop on a 1k budget before the monitor/keyboard/etc, or will the all-in-one Lappy be a better choice. Remember, I spend 90% of my time on the computer gaming, and the other 10% surfing the web/you tubes/email/other minor stuff.


PS If I get a lappy, I would probably buy from a local Best Buy or something, if I was going with the desktop, I would get from newegg... one or the other will most likely be bought on black friday...but dont take that into too much consideration... but If I could get a LOT better build/buy going from a 1000 budget to 1100... I could probably make that back on the black friday discount...

SCHawks73 is offline  
Old 09-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Fat.Clown's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 3,315
Default Re: $1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop?

if you don't mind buying used, I've got a complete setup I could sell to you for $939.99 shipped? (within lower 48 of US)

windows 7 home premium.
cpu intel core i5 750 quad core
motherboard gigabyte p55a-ud3 w/ USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps
ram 2 x 2GB corsair dominators 1600 mhz
video XFX GTX 275 w/ lifetime warranty.
psu corsair HX650W 80+ silver and modular cabling
hdd western digital 500GB RE2 enterprise class sata hard drive
19" 1440 x 900 widescreen lcd monitor brand can't remember right now, but generic brand from best buy.
2.1 speaker set - also generic brand
keyboard - logitech keyboard, forgot model.
mouse razer diamondback 3g
case- random case
Fat.Clown is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best gaming laptop with a budget of $1000 luciddreemz Laptops and Notebooks 17 01-16-2011 07:32 PM
$1000 Budget on Gaming Laptop VishKapish Laptops and Notebooks 6 06-08-2010 07:55 PM
Need a laptop, budget $750-1000 yo1mcool Laptops and Notebooks 7 06-08-2009 11:36 PM
Buying Laptop, $1000 budget tzvii Laptops and Notebooks 8 02-03-2008 04:20 AM
Need laptop recommendations Budget $800-1000 krazyq Laptops and Notebooks 0 11-14-2007 12:42 AM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.