$1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
View Poll Results: Desktop vs. Laptop on $1000 budget
Desktop even AFTER using partial budget for new monitor/keyboard/etc. 1 100.00%
Laptop with it's all-in-one benefit 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Question $1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop?

My lappy got smacked in the mouth by some lightning and now the ethernet card, and both of the USB ports on the right side are dead.

I also play LOTRO and got my GF hooked on it and I want to duo level with her as she is really enjoying the game, but we need another computer...

I have only used a laptop the last 7-10 years (at home and work) but I dont really have a strong preference for either a lappy or desktop.

Anyways to my question.

If I had a $800-1000 budget, would I be better off getting a gaming laptop that can run LOTRO at high (not even very high/ultra) settings, or would the desktop still be better off even AFTER I bought all the accessories, such as a keyboard, monitor (I have a old mouse I could use), etc?

My current lappy is a HP dv9640us and the only thing that is holding it back game-wise is the 1.5Ghz duo processor...

I have no preference with either Intel or AMD, 4-6GB of ram is fine, 3.0+Ghz processor, Ive heard SSD's are nice if I could combo that with a 500GB HD or so, if not anything between 500gb-1tb HD is enough... I dont know about anything else.

What do yall think? Will I be able to build a better desktop on a 1k budget before the monitor/keyboard/etc, or will the all-in-one Lappy be a better choice. Remember, I spend 90% of my time on the computer gaming, and the other 10% surfing the web/you tubes/email/other minor stuff.

PS If I get a lappy, I would probably buy from a local Best Buy or something, if I was going with the desktop, I would get from newegg... one or the other will most likely be bought on black friday...but dont take that into too much consideration... but If I could get a LOT better build/buy going from a 1000 budget to 1100... I could probably make that back on the black friday discount...

Old 09-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: $1000 Budget, Desktop + all accesories > Laptop?

if you don't mind buying used, I've got a complete setup I could sell to you for $939.99 shipped? (within lower 48 of US)

windows 7 home premium.
cpu intel core i5 750 quad core
motherboard gigabyte p55a-ud3 w/ USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps
ram 2 x 2GB corsair dominators 1600 mhz
video XFX GTX 275 w/ lifetime warranty.
psu corsair HX650W 80+ silver and modular cabling
hdd western digital 500GB RE2 enterprise class sata hard drive
19" 1440 x 900 widescreen lcd monitor brand can't remember right now, but generic brand from best buy.
2.1 speaker set - also generic brand
keyboard - logitech keyboard, forgot model.
mouse razer diamondback 3g
case- random case
Closed Thread