XP Home/XP Pro/XP Media -- What IS the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethanybaldwin

Solid State Member
I've seen XP Home in action. I don't know a lot about Pro and Media though.

Do they both have the same inital screen setup as Home? Or is Media/Pro different all together 100%?

XP Media Center Edition is essentially XP Pro but with some extra media apps, and can also only be installed on a PC with 100% Media Center compliant components. The main difference between XP home and XP Pro is Pro allows corporate networking through a domain. Plus, Pro is quite more customizable because it includes an app called "gpedit.msc", that Home doesn't include. Pro also includes things like file encryption, dynamic disks, as well as the ability to set user permissions. I personally prefer Pro because I don't like having a scaled down version of my operating system.

Five editions of windows xp compared.

This page will tell you the differences of the different versions of windows XP, as far as the MCE i do not know anything as i have never seen it but windows XP home and pro are basically identical you will see all the little differences on the page i linked.

Drworm2005.

This is going to sound petty, but I'm picky. Anyone know what MCE looks like when you start your computer? Does it look like other XP beginnings and then goes into the media section or do you have an option to have that part come up when you want it? Will the desktop look like Home and Prof. when you're doing regular computing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom