Winfixer hijack and other browser hijacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok..after some research it seams this is an HP issue. Spybot likely removed the Backweb APP this program uses as it's a security risk. This "HP Update" is not really useful and just taking up your resources anyway so we are going to disable it.

Click start...run...type in msconfig. Once that's loaded..open the startup tab. Scroll down the programs and see if you can find something named "Updates from HP"

Uncheck the box...cliick Apply/Ok. It will ask you to reboot. Once you reboot a box will pop up saying "Your using selective startup..bla bla..bla. Checkmark the box that says "Don't Remind me again"

Let me know if that worked.

It does work, but in the process of booting up, I get a black and white screen where I can choose whether to boot up XP or some other safe version. I've done this a couple of times, and it continues. I guess the only way to take care of this is to enable that Update.

Yup. Open up spybot and look in the recovery section for an entry about backweb. If you find it..checkmark the box...and click restore. If that doesn't work...you'll have to reinstall that 'Update' package from HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom