Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warez Monster said:
hpcmpmgr.exe is the main process belonging to the HP Component Manager, and is important to the running of their range of multimedia products. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

And your point is what? I know what the process is...and what it does. As I pointed out...it IS the users problem..and the process CAN be disabled without any issues to the PC.

I mean no disrespect Warez Monster but would advise..since your reading logs here...to go through one of the schools that are teaching hijackthis log readings on other forums. Some of your advice and entrys your asking the user to remove is questionable...which will sooner or later...lead to a system crash on a users PC.

At no point do I ask the user to remove any entries. Only the ones that are severe. The unknown processes are just that, unknown. And no one has had a problem with the logs that I analyze. And Im not going thru schools either. And I posted that process for the user for a complete definition of the process. What harm is there in that? What is it tonight with these members, first skyhi and now you. All I did was post information for the user. I didnt take anything away from you. I know the process can be stopped. But maybe the user doesnt want it stopped after reading what I posted. If he does, then he does, if he dont, then he dont. At least he knows. It is also a third party program. And this is my opinion, I dont think that this program is causing the flashing popup myself. I need to see a screenshot if one was available, but since it flashes so quickly, I guess I wont be seeing one. The only problem I see with the program is when you shut down your pc, you will get an error message. But maybe you are right..I guess we will see...

MicroBell:

Finally, months after installing my hp printer; after months of browsing these self-help fix-it boards, you are (honestly) the first person who has said the obvious: hpcmpmgr has a bug. No, it's not spyware, adware, or malware. Just buggy software, and hp will not admit it, either.

I can see hp's point, if for no other reason than to avoid blame and shame for a problem they caused... But the majority of [Flame SNIPPED] peolpe that ride shotgun on these forums are inexcuseable. With tools like HIJACK THIS in the hands of these near people, more harm is done to the average computer user in need of help than the hacks that write viruses and buggy software in the first place.

[Flame SNIPPED]

This is my first post here (and suspect it's my last under this username) but I had to acknowledge your clear voice rising above the roar of the crowd.

Be well, MicroBell

cf

*** harm *** Figure it out yourself:

Dear Warez Monster:

In your own words: (*** my emphasis ***)

Remove entries at your own ***risk***

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You acknowledged in your "fix" that there is a *** risk *** to his computer, if he follows your suggestions.

Of the >>13<< suggestions to modify this man's computer, you admit you don't know what 9 of them do. ( *** unknown ***)

And the end result of all this blind tampering:

(Stingar): SO here is my new logfile. (I'm ***still getting that annoying pop-up thing *** happening also)

Your intentions are good, and the real blame belongs to the arrogant shirts at hp for letting this stay in when they know it happens, (I told them myself, long ago), but no good will ever come from this "shotgun" troubleshooting, compared to the RISK involved.

Forgive the rant, but I'm tired of watching Flightsim go away, or a movie I'm watching on DVD vanish for no good reason.

cf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE This is a *** unknown *** process.

C:\Program Files\PhshSwpr\PhshSwpr.exe This is a *** unknown *** process.

O2 - BHO: Net Safe - {49CAC2AD-79FB-4B91-BB70-0239D2E43485} - C:\PROGRA~1\PhshSwpr\netsafe.dll *** Unknown *** application.

O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.3000.1002\en-xu\stmain.dll Must be fixed!

O3 - Toolbar: &AdultFriendFinder ToolBar - {C51C0E2A-3040-4740-9C14-155758225807} - C:\PROGRA~1\AFFTB\AFFTB.dll Must be fixed!

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe *** Unknown *** application.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE *** Unknown *** application.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe *** Unknown *** application.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Sypware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers Must be fixed!

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [InstallShieldSetup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\8\INTEL3~1\ID
*** Unknown *** application.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Phishing Sweeper] C:\Program Files\PhshSwpr\PhshSwpr.exe -min *** Unknown *** application.

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\phshswpr\aphish.dll This entry should not be fixed! Your best bet to repair it is to try the LSPFix from Cexx.org. Check your hard disc drive with Spybot S&D from Kolla.de or LSPFix from Cexx.org.

O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptem...iveSecurity.cab This entry is *** possibly *** nasty. Should be fixed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Stingar

Okay I got rid of the Phish Sweeper program (you had listed as unknown processes), I also "fixed" all the items you had marked as such. I also removed the (O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\NMSOCKNT.DLL) becasue I seen something mentioned about it on another thread. The KBD and PS2 processes are part of my "one-touch" keyboard (multimedia keyboard). hphupd05.exe is part of my photosmart program.

SO here is my new logfile. (I'm still getting that annoying pop-up thing happening also)

[Flame SNIPPED] I put "Remove entries at your own risk" for a reason. When you use Hijack this, it warns you about using the program also. To date, I have had no problems with anyone removing entries from their log for what I tell them to delete/remove. And there is not an answer to all entries. There are so many .exe, .dll, etc out there so there are bound to be entries I dont know, or cant find on the net. And If I do make a mistake on here, then I do. I'm not perfect and neither are you. I'm here night and day helping as many people as I possibly can, you come on here whenever you feel convenient and post 2 entries. [SNIPPED]

Getting some things straight...

Stingar If you still have problems, please post a new HJT log in a new thread. This one will be closed.

Everyone We are here to help each other. There are some that are better with security help than others as you can probably tell by their credentials. We all will do our best to maintain as best a level of professionalism as we can.

MicroBell Thanks for your help and recognition of the HP problem. Your help and expertise is always appreciated.

chilifinger Thanks for your opinion, and you may continue to post here under this username. However, when you post, state your opinions without flames or inciting others to flame. Your cooperation is appreciated. The TF Security Team also appreciates any help/discussion/criticism that we can get to help our team.

Warez Monster Please remember that there will always be people that see things that you don't see or may see it another way. If they flame you, report them and please do not participate further with their flames.

If anyone has more comments/suggestions/criticisms about our Tech-Forums Security Team or our methods, please send them to me. We will discuss anything that will make us better, but without any flames. Thanks.

Dave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom