My search homepage hijack

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day Warez Monster,

I have dial up. It's never been a problem until the last 2 weeks or so. It only seems to happen when I'm logged on the net &, generally, after five minutes or so & only on the first log on.

Do you think it could be a problem with my ISP? If so, why does it drop out the whole computer & not just the internet connection?

When I say "drop out", I mean the whole thing reboots & I lose everything I have been working on that has not been saved.

Best regards,
Troy.

If you are working on Office documents, you need to set it to autosave every few seconds so you will have a backup of it even if you dont manually save it yourself. To do this, go to Tools, Options, Save, then click on Always Create Backup Copy, Save every 1 minute. Then go to File Locations and make a location to have these auto saved in. Do this with Word, Excel, etc open. Now for your other problem, did this problem start after you started to delete items from Hijack this? Did you go to Device Drivers and see if your modem has a question mark on it or exclamation, something yellow, etc, one of them?

I've just gone back over my posts from this thread. At the top of page 3, I made a post on May 22. I remember it seemed to start when I tried to run Norton Live Update a few days before I made that particular post.

From memory, I hadn't been on line for one or two weeks & Norton told me I needed to run Live Update to get my protection up to date. I tried to download the updates twice but both times the computer dropped out. Since then it happens, as I said, usually on the first log on & usually after about 5 minutes. I have been on line this time (now) for about 1 hour & I am confident it won't drop out.

It doesn't drop out if I'm just using Word or Excel on their own, but when I'm trying to post something like this. Because of the problem, I now first type out what I want to say in either Word or Notepad, then copy & paste it.

Thankyou for the autosave tips.

Best regards,
Troy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom