CRAZY virus that attacked parent's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKowz

Solid State Member
Hello all, just curious as to if anyone knows what the heck virus this could be that attacked my parent's computer. It started out as what appeared to be a brand new version of Cool Web Search because CWShredder, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot, Norton Antivirus, and AVG Antivirus did not detect a thing until it was WAAAY too late. Eventually, a piece of spyware was installed on my computer because my dad went to click on the X for the popups, and using an optical mouse, the moment he went to click, the mouse pointer went haywire and he accidentally clicked inside of the popup. The virus that someone planted first knocked out the Internet Explorer engine (Im suspecting that is what it was), it deleted all of my network connections, renamed My Computer and My Network Connections to "Folder", it then shut off access to Programs in the Start Menu, took out run, search, control panel, etc from the start menu, and caused IE to lock up whenever I tried to open it. When I finally got to Norton Antivirus, it was not able to even scan because I am guessing it runs off of the same process as IE, so it was just a blank white screen... I got to AVG after a few tries and it found nothing at all during the scan, but window after window of AVG finding trojans through it's active protection was popping up. The one thing I can remember from this is that this all originated from the Cool Web Search that came up as something like sp.html or sp.dll in my HJT log.

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Can you hit the Windows Key + R? If it allows you to do that, type msconfig, and go to Diagnostic Startup.

I have already reformatted the computer and everything, sorry for not mentioning that earilier. I was just curious if anyone knew anything about something like this, that and I felt like letting the rest of the community know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom