Learning to Program

righty

Solid State Member
So I'm just getting a grasp for computers, I'm learning a lot of different things through college courses, fundamental stuff. However, I was wondering if there are any fun programming apps that take you through light programming exercises and such, for beginners.

What programming languages are you coding in ? I remember learning basics of programming in Java through Building Java Programs: A Back to Basics Approach, by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp when I was at school. Now in my everyday work at Philips, I get to still keep learning to solve fun problems, but usually it starts with some whiteboard stuff.

What programming exercises are you working on ? Would love to hear!

While online tutorials can be an easy alternative, I think you'd benefit much more from learning through books. But that's my personal opinion. Learning on your own accord is much better than tutorials IMO, if you read books they explain more thoroughly each different aspect of the language you are trying to learn. Granted that it may take a little longer to learn, you'll have a much better understanding of the language in the end. Again that's my opinion, and how my brain works :D

Goodluck, programming is definitely very fun, and a very useful subject to know in this day and age.

@Atro_ Great point. Having a good set of books will help in digging deeper and ofcourse the key is "time", spending time in the new language. I use this analogy to my interns (that I mentor at Philips)"Learning a new programming language is like literally learning a new language".

Yep, I learned Java, Python, and C# all through books, reading them from cover to cover. I tried online tutorials beforehand and it doesn't come close to comparng

I have a harder time doing just books - I'm one of the people that needs to be shown how to do something and then I can usually pick it up (or at least then read about it).

I have a harder time doing just books - I'm one of the people that needs to be shown how to do something and then I can usually pick it up (or at least then read about it).

A lot of books nowadays provide code within books to give examples, and they should also have a link or webpage of some sort that will let you download example codes used in books.

A lot of books nowadays provide code within books to give examples, and they should also have a link or webpage of some sort that will let you download example codes used in books.

Yeah, pretty much all of them do. Its just harder to start from scratch for me on my own vs having somebody show me/explain how to do something. After that I can usually get it and understand it. This is why I worked with friends on programming projects in college because if I didn't understand something, I had a friend explain it in a way that made sense and then I got it.

Back
Top Bottom