Zune vs. iPod Specification Smackdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Zune vs. iPod Specification Smackdown

If you want to know how the new Zune stacks up against the iPod (on paper at least) head on over to Engadget and find out.

The Zune 80GB certainly holds its own when pitted against the 80GB iPod classic on a specification table. That's not the case, however, with the iPod touch as long as you're willing to sacrifice the bytes for the touch's bigger display and heftier price tag. It's a tougher call on the flash-based Zune vs. the iPod nano

i don't want any of em getting anymore of my cash... but I guess Microsoft gets it after all the "OS Obtaining" i do :) plus I wanna be an individual, not sticking with the crowd and have a Zune instead of an iPod

IMO, the iPod wins hands down!

Last year I owned the 30g iPod. I liked it. Easy to add and delete music and videos.
Then I sold it and bought an Archos 504 40g. Very nice product. Easier to add and delete than the iPod. Acts like a HD so all you do is drag n drop. Oh, it has a 4" screen. However, it's heavy and bulky. No way can you jog or speed walk with it.
Another pro is that the battery is removable and so is the hd. I pretty sure you can even upgrade the hd.
Yesterday I received a black 30g Zune. I got an awesome deal at woot.com. $89 shipped.
Here is what I absolutely can't stand about the Zune. It takes forever and a day to load videos. It took me half of yesterday and another half of today to add 480 music videos. With the iPod and Archos I could create genre folders for my videos and simply drag n drop. With the Zune, you must use the software and when you sync the videos...well, Zune will take it's sweet time to convert them. Oh, it's also a darn resource hog.
Despite my complaints with the Zune, I'm going to keep it. My wife is the one who is going to use it 90% of the time. Hey, for $89 shipped I can't complain.

Zune wins and here is why
Apple had clearly done something to the new iPods, but it hadn't clued anyone in as to what.
The “what” turned out to be a quiet change to each iPod's software. Apple's new firmware told the iPods that they should not output video unless they found a specific lock-out chip inside of a bottom-connected, Apple-authorized accessory. This meant that top-connecting video accessories no longer worked. It also meant that bottom-connecting video accessories without the specific lock-out chip didn't work, either. The company had silently killed an entire, exciting category of video-specific accessories—and also stopped virtually every past speaker or dock “with video as a bonus” from working properly. A simple firmware change could fix this, but Apple's not making that fix; instead, it's trying to sell the chips to developers so they can re-release their past accessories and have people buy them again.
Apple Universal Dock (2007) | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

Well Zunes are too fricken late.

They maybe be better, but they only based their product off of making it better than the Ipod, which was out before the Zune was.

Everything is being made to accustom people to Ipods and Not Zunes. Ipod was first, Zune second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom