Why Android is way slower than Windows??

mostafaz4

Beta member
Why Android is way slower than Windows (XP,VISTA,7,8) and i don't include Windows Phone because it is nothing

There would be an android phone with 1 GB RAM and Quad Core Processor

Versus a windows machine of 1 GB RAM and Single Core Processor

And the android one gets so laggy, heats, crash on browsing and simple multitasking while the windows one could easily handle at least 5 browsing tabs with some softwares running and easily swap among all of those...
Any explanations??

Sorry if I post it in wrong place :)

The basic answer is the hardware.

The phone has a quad core, but it is still a fraction of the desktop's CPU. RAM is RAM and it will only run at the speed it can run. Heat could definitely be part of the issue as the desktop is actively cooled and is in a case with ventilation while the phone's CPU is passively cooled and is in a device with no ventilation and no real way to ditch the heat buildup.

That said, some phones just work better than others. The physical design, the work put in to get Android set up better for that particular piece of hardware, etc. iPhones work as well as they do because everything about it is designed to work with the rest; Android is like Windows and is designed to work on a plethora of different hardware.

Like Trotter said, mostly because of the hardware. Windows and Android are totally different architectures altogether - Android uses ARM CPU's and Windows is based on x86/x64 CPU architectures, so they operate completely different on a very technical level.

That, and Android isn't as "mature" (read: been around as long), and is still being optimized for different hardware. Lollipop has fantastic performance gains, even on old phones.

Hardware is number 1 factor,
also you have to find out what apps are running in the background taking up your resources.

I love android yet I have found in order to have any type of performance you need a phone that has minimum of 2G ram, I like the LG optimus. have had it and no problems, now i use a nokia windows phone. ( got it for some experiments ) yet once I can switch back I am going for the LG again.

ARM and x86 architectures are completely different.

a 1 GHz arm processor is roughly the same (computational power wise) as a 400 - 500 MHz x86 processor.
So to answer your question. Android doesn't run slow, actually it's lightening fast considering the architecture differences...

How fast do you think windows 10 would run on a Pentium 2? (with touch screen apps etc)
(my older android tablet was pretty slick, for touch screen, sure the onscreen keyboard lacked any tactile feedback, but I could type properly, with both hands. the windows one, is just a bit meh, not just lacking feedback, but also a bit too slow performance wise to properly type at speed with the onscreen keyboard, (good job it came with a real keyboard build into the case!)

my old tablet, (quad core 1.2Ghz arm with 1GB RAM running android) never seemed slow
my new tablet (quad core 1.8Ghz Atom with 2GB RAM running windows 10) is roughly the same performance wise... both had/have plenty of grunt... (but think about what I just said, 1.2 Ghz translates to roughly half the clock speed.... it's like running android on ~2 core 600MHz hardware with a GB of RAM, so my new windows tablet has (twice cores 3 times the speed = 6times more CPU grunt twice as much RAM, and runs about the same...

whilst I don't have issues with the tablet I've got, then I think if I cut both the clock speed (which would be the effect of moving to ARM) and the core count to a quarter of what it is I'd have real problems...)
to be fair if only the core count was quartered and the clock speed stayed at twice what you're saying then I think it'd be uncomfortably slow to use!

(where on earth have you found a single core x86 processor? that'll run windows 8? - I've got an old laptop with a 2.4Ghz single core processor, and 2GB of RAM (old centrino) and that's quite painful with windows XP. (fine for small apps around the same age as the laptop, but as soon as you try to run anything more current, (say itunes, or firefox, or open a laptop with flash) then it gets real slow and real hot. (I wouldn't even try windows 7 or windows 8 on that thing.

(so as well as not thinking about architecture difference your statement that windows would run fine on a single core 1GHz cpu and a 1GB of RAM just isn't true.) (running XP and expecting to do anything with twice the resources you listed is like pulling teeth.)

Hardware is number 1 factor,
also you have to find out what apps are running in the background taking up your resources.

I love android yet I have found in order to have any type of performance you need a phone that has minimum of 2G ram, I like the LG optimus. have had it and no problems, now i use a nokia windows phone. ( got it for some experiments ) yet once I can switch back I am going for the LG again.

If you want to avoid contracts check out the phone I am using now:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/review-asus-zenfone-2-a-275224/

I went from an Optimus G Pro to this one, huge improvement. I am STILL impressed by this phone.

Back
Top Bottom