Viewing PDF's on Android (blurry when loading page)

Cryora

Baseband Member
Is there a way to improve the performance of viewing PDF's on mobile devices? When viewing large PDF files - i.e. ones that contain many pages, or maps that consist of images that are not a simple .jpeg/.png and have many layers that need to be loaded one on top of the other - sections that I view on an app initially appear blurry (or blank depending on the app). That includes sections that I have not viewed since the opening of the file as well as sections that I've returned to after "looking away" from it for some time (and thus the data have probably been erased from cache/RAM) and that needs to be reloaded. It can take 10 seconds for a section to load, which is really annoying.

I realize this has to do with the less capable technology of mobile devices compared to PC's, but it is still surprising given that RAM for mobile devices are in GB's (more specifically 1.5GB for my phone and 2GB for my tablet, both Android). Or is that still not enough, or does it have to do with other things like CPU cache? Why can't they load the entire file into RAM, as they are only MB's large, so that once you are done with the initial wait, everything runs smooth as silk? Data compression?

I've noticed that performance is somewhat better with Adobe Reader than with Google PDF Reader.

Any clarification or ways in improving PDF viewing performance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have no issues with Chrome or any other PDF reader. It's less about the reader and usually more about the connection. Chrome tends to look blurry (even on photos) until ALL of the data loads in correctly and then it clears up. If the connection to the data is slow, that could very well be your problem.

Back
Top Bottom