Using only smartphone only for wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

drobe

Beta member
I've looked around at many threads on this topic, but none give a definitive answer for my particular situation. I'm developing web applications intended to work on as many mobile devices as possible. In order to test these applications out, I will need a variety of phones of different OS's, aspect ratios, resolutions, etc. I would really not like to pay full sucker fare and data plans for all these devices. I work in an office with excellent wifi and zero cell reception. The applications I'm developing depend heavily on javascript and HTML5, especially the canvas element.

1) Are there any smartphones that will refuse to use wifi without a service plan?
2) Would these phones need to be unlocked/flashed/whatever, or can I pull it out of the box, plug it in, turn it on, and browse through wifi?
3) Will the wifi still work for this purpose if the phone has a bad esn? Would such a phone need some extra setup?
4) Are there any smartphones that will not comprehend javascript or HTML5 (esp. <canvas>)?

Thank you for your time.

1) They should all work with only wifi and no cell.
2) You can use it as stock, or root it. Either way works.
3) Yes, it should still work if it has a bad ESN. You just wouldn't be able to activate it on a cell network.
4) Not sure on this one.

The only issue I can forsee is getting passed the initial activation screen on some of the Android based phones. There's usually a trick to get passed it, by touching all for corners in a sequential order (top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left is the sequence for the Incredible...not sure about other phones).

For Android, you could also use the Android SDK's Android Emulator on your computer instead of on an actual device if you prefer to try that before buying a bunch of different phones as well.

Just curious, if you have (for example) a GSM based phone and no sim card, if you fire it up will it complain at you until you have a sim card inserted? Or will you be able to navigate through the menus and ultimately get wifi from the device?

Just a little food for thought/curiosity.

Pretty sure you'll still be able to use it.

My friend that had an Alltel phone that switched to AT&T got an Android phone, and he was able to use it before he was able to activate it.

Last time I checked, there is no browser on any smart phone that is HTML5 compatible at this time. There is still browsers for PC's that are not fully HTML5 compatible. I highly doubt that you will find the browser built into a mobile device or tablet to have support for <canvas> or many other HTML5 items. Even major browsers like Firefox and Opera are not HTML5 for mobile devices. So if that is a big factor for what your trying to do, you might want to rethink your game plan. As HTML5 is not coming to mobile devices soon. Not as soon as it is on PC's.

I got an HTC Inspire a month or so ago and so far it is perfectly content to run all the canvas stuff I've made in its default browser.

Yeah. Support for the <video> tag.

There's also support for HTML5's <video> tag — the browser can play videos in fullscreen mode without plug-ins.

Not a big win and not really support for HTML5 when it is only 1 aspect of the entire HTML world. It still dont support <canvas> or any other aspect. I would be shocked if it actually supported H.264 video codecs.

This is all it supports right on their page:

Support for HTML5:
Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
Application cache support, for offline applications.
Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
<video> tag support in fullscreen mode.

If you check out that Wiki, you will see that none of the releases between 2.0 and 3.0 even mention any upgrades to any HTML or Browser features. Even in Android 3.0 the only addition is for CSS 3D. The rest is just minor stuff. There isnt even an upgrade to HTML5 support in Honeycomb right now.

Android 3.1 adds FLAC and Looseless support. So really the only aspect I see supported in any Android is <video>. Not a big deal really since you can just watch YouTube easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom