Upgrading to droid ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_1414

Solid State Member
Heres the question
I never really understood the whole 2 year contract with the cell phone companies and my son wants the droid 2 but his contract doesn't end for another year can he buy one off ebay and have them switch the number because ive heard of people doing the with non smartphones but never with a smart phone. Thanks!

yeah you can do that, but I would offer a couple bits of potential concern.

First off, if you're buying a phone off ebay, either do it through an ebay company (not just a random user) or if you do buy from a random user, make sure that it's not a phone they got from their 'contract renewal.' If you buy a phone that was purchased with a contract renewal (as in an upgrade) you'll need the account information from the person who had the phone, which if you do off of ebay, i'm sure they will be less than likely to give you that information.

Secondly if you are going to buy it from an online retailer, be it an ebayer or not, it'll go for around $500, whereas if you wait for the contract up it's around $150, but in a year the phone will be replaced by something else.

As an alternative, go to verizon and check the status of your phone upgrades. they changed it and you're eligible for an upgrade every 1.5 years, not every 2, and you can transfer upgrades to different numbers on the same account. So for instance if you're on the same plan as your son (which I don't know why you wouldn't) if you're eligible for an upgrade and don't plan on using it right away you can transfer that to his number and get the droid 2 for the $150 price, which would end up being easier and cheaper than buying it off of ebay and dealing with potentially disastrous problems.

Yea Thank you very much I will look on ebay and see what they have and see when my contract ends we will probably do that just more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom