Universal Address Book

pish_flaps

Beta member
Hello all,

Before I start, I realise that my problem will have been posted about before, but I can't find any threads that answer my specific problem. It's also quite a boring problem so anybody determined enough to help will be thanked heartily!

The phone in question is a Galaxy S3 (Android)...

I'd like to have a universal address book that I can use on my phone, back up as a single file to my PC, and also sync with a free online service. It would need lots of fields (full name, e-mail, several phone numbers, birthday, skype ID etc). Once I've created my ideal address book, I'd like to be able to e.g. add a contact to my phone and have it sync to the universal address book, and also factory-reset my phone and simply click the button to add it all back on.

I thought of doing this by registering a Gmail address I wouldn't use, then adding all the contacts there (this way I could easily import contacts from there to my phone) but there aren't enough fields for all the information I want. If you could use Outlook to sync contacts without paying monthly for an Exchange account (I don't think you can), then I think that would work, but there's no way I'm paying that kind of money to organise and sync my address book!

Any help much appreciated...

You can add custom fields in Gmail's contacts.

Either from your People/Contacts app on the phone, or through the web interface. I've done it myself several times for people.

Also, when you mentioned making a dedicated Gmail account for contacts...thats what I did when I got my first Android phone. I don't use it for anything else except for phone apps / contacts. I don't give it out to anybody and only use it internally for myself. Been that way for about 4-5 years now, and seems to work out well.

Back
Top Bottom