Traveling overseas - question about phone/data

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

My wife and I will be traveling overseas for the first time (well, first time for me at least lol). I had a quick question about phones, tablets, etc. and how to get data.

We are going on a cruise, and the cruise line offers an Internet package. However, I was wondering if it would be better to just get an international package through our phone carrier.

Any thoughts or advice from more frequent travelers? As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

If you have an unlocked / GSM phone, just buy a local SIM card (one of those pay-as-you-go type) and use your phone with that SIM instead of your USA-carrier one - usually cheaper than worrying about int'l rates and such.

Ok thanks, I'll check if my phone is unlocked and report back if I have any questions. Can I get that SIM in advance instead of finding one once I get to our destination. Also, if I'm on a cruise that stops in multiple countries, do I have to get a SIM for each country?

Can I get that SIM in advance instead of finding one once I get to our destination

Not usually no, but just ask one of the cruise guides, they'll get that question all the time and will point you to the best place to get a local SIM.

Also, if I'm on a cruise that stops in multiple countries, do I have to get a SIM for each country?

Yep most likely

Back
Top Bottom