TracFone Wifi issues, help?

NOTHING

Beta member
My phone is the Tracfone (or StraightTalk) s390g from Samsung. i like this phone, but it has one flaw, the wifi. I finally got it to connect to my home wifi network, but when i try to use it, it will take forever to load and then sometimes just fail. The reveiws i read said this phone's wifi worked really well. is this something i can fix, or could my phone be defected?

With something like that, most of the time it is a hardware issue and cant be fixed. I would suggest either taking it back for a replacement if where you got it from will or contact Tracfone and have them replace it thru their warranty service.

I honestly doubt your phone is defected. Given that its straight talk, it's possible it simply is not compatible with your router. I bought a boost phone that connected to wifi and I could never get it to connect to my home network and it turns out that it just does not support old routers. Now I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but certainly something to consider. If that is the case, I apologize. :/

The service provider has nothing to do with connecting to a home router. It has everything to do with connecting to the network. If he couldn't connect to the data network, I would say yes.

But since this is an issue connecting to a router, it would be phone based. I have owned 3 Samsung devices personally and my wife has had 2 in the past 5 years. Not a single one has had an issue connecting to the home network, even with switching routers 3 times and providers twice. I also hack my devices to install custom ROMS. I install a new ROM on my current GNote almost daily due to it being CM10.1 that has a nightly schedule.

If it was something with the software, I am sure I would have come across an issue with so many devices and so many ROMS over the years. But I haven't. Only issue I have had is connecting to the data network cause no APN settings. ;)

I wasn't trying to imply his provider was to blame; I apologize if it came off that way. I was tossing the suggestion that his phone had the a hardware or software problem. I only mentioned the bit about the provider because "burner phones" are usually just crappy all around and often are plagued with problems such as the one he described. I assumed that because he was on Straight Talk or something like that, he had what one may call a burner phone. Apologies. :(

No reason to apologize. While I understand where your coming from, I also know the phone in question. It is a Samsung that looks a lot like a BlackBerry. It has the full keyboard on the front.

What I am trying to get across is that the Samsung line, has very good hardware. Even from my Captivate that I got in 2008 to the current phone I am using, I have never had an issue with the hardware aspect. My Captivate still operates to this day and I use it to make calls via Google Voice with no less quality than I have on my Note.

The thing with the pre-paid phones is that they are devices that are several years old. The latest line of high quality "burn" phones is the Samsung Galaxy S II line. Which is already 2 years old to us users on contracts. So it isn't that they are not great quality, they are just older.

While I would not rule out that it could be a software issue, as this device does run a custom UI built on top of an older version of Android, I would still think that given the chances to reinstall the software on it, it would be better to just replace the device if possible. ;)

Back
Top Bottom