Things you never knew your cellphone could do ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantoadmire

Baseband Member
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.
Check out the things that you can do with it:

1. The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112.If you findyourself out of coverage area of your mobile network and there is anemergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked.

2. Have you locked your keys in the car? Does you car have remote keys?
This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your
keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other “remote” for your car, you can unlock the doors.

3. Hidden Battery power: Imagine your cell battery is very low , you are expecting an important call and you don't have a charger. Nokia instrument comes with a reserve battery. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with
this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

4. How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:
* # 0 6 #
A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. when your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the
SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile
phones.

Not gonna try 1, heard about 2 and will try it when I have a second person, 3 my phone isn't nokia, 4 does not work for my Motorola Q

Not sure about #1... I know that the cell emergency number for Illinois (at least when on the highway) is *999.

#2 doesn't work, we have tried it at work before....
#3 I think it depends on the phone... hasn't worked with a few Razr's I have tried it on, or my LG 1400...

#4 however DOES work.

#1- First of all this doesn't work anywhere except Europe and a few other countries not including the US and second, you have to have some signal to make the call. If there are no towers anywhere around, the call isn't going to go through. It's not like it can link up with a satellite or anything.
#2- Does not work. The frequency that a cell phone operates at is way way way different from that of a remote for a car so the unlock command cannot piggyback itself on the cell signal.
#3- I don't know about Nokia but that doesn't work on my LG. I think I saw somewhere that this is a myth.
#4- You don't really need to do this because the number is written right on the back of the phone under the battery.

Edit:
Found this on urban legends confirming all that I say above:
http://urbanlegends.about.com said:
1. The worldwide emergency number for cell phones is 112.
Not quite. Throughout most of Europe and a few countries outside of the EU, dialing 112 will connect users to local emergency services. However, the number won't work in North America, nor most of Asia and Africa. Many, but not all, cell phone models will allow special emergency numbers to be dialed even if the phone lacks a SIM card or the keypad is locked.
2. Unlock a car door with your cell phone and a spare remote key.
False. As discussed previously in these pages, cell phones and remote keyless entry systems work on entirely different radio frequencies. Therefore, cell phones are incapable of re-transmitting the signal from a remote key to unlock a car door.
3. Press *3370# to access 'reserve battery power.'
False. On some Nokia phones, users can punch in special codes and toggle between speech codec modes to 1) enhance voice transmission quality at the cost of diminished battery performance, or 2) enhance battery performance by decreasing voice quality. Apparently, some users have misconstrued the latter as "tapping into reserve battery power." On that score the email is doubly erroneous because *3370# is the code for enhancing voice quality, so using it actually decreases battery life!
4. Press *#06# to disable a stolen cell phone.
Not exactly. On some cell phone models, but not all, pressing *#06# will cause the phone's 15-digit International Mobile Equipment Identity to be displayed. Some service providers, but not all, can use that information to deactivate the handset. In any case, it isn't necessary to supply an IMEI number to cancel your cellular account in the event of theft; simply call your provider, give them the appropriate account information, and tell them the phone was stolen.

Edit Edit:
Post 888! Yay!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom