Tablets with and HDD for memory? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Phones, Tablets, and other Handheld Devices
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Tablets with and HDD for memory?

Would anyone know what the advantages would be to have a tablet with an HDD installed for it's memory?

Is it so you can install pc windows or linux based programs on it like a PC?
I have a tablet but don't like the Android versions of apps like Google Chrome, therefore I want to use the PC version but on a tablet.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Tablets with and HDD for memory?

The type of storage doesn't matter. The CPU architecture is what dictates what OS can be used. Tablets and phones have ARM CPU's and computers have x86-based CPU's. They have different instruction sets, and the OS has to be programmed for them. That's why when Microsoft released the "Surface RT" which had an ARM CPU in it, it was a specialized version of Windows that couldn't run standard Windows programs, only "RT approved apps" from the Windows store because of how the apps are programmed.

If you want a mobile device that you can use desktop version of applications with, you'll pretty much have to get a Surface / Surface Pro.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Tablets with and HDD for memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
The type of storage doesn't matter. The CPU architecture is what dictates what OS can be used. Tablets and phones have ARM CPU's and computers have x86-based CPU's. They have different instruction sets, and the OS has to be programmed for them. That's why when Microsoft released the "Surface RT" which had an ARM CPU in it, it was a specialized version of Windows that couldn't run standard Windows programs, only "RT approved apps" from the Windows store because of how the apps are programmed.

If you want a mobile device that you can use desktop version of applications with, you'll pretty much have to get a Surface / Surface Pro.
What a great answer! Thank you very much for laying this out for me. You pretty much covered everything I was thinking of.
Thanks for your efforts and help!