AT&T Spends Less on Network Construction While Charging More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
AT&T Spends Less on Network Construction While Charging More

This article claims that AT&T has spent less on network construction every quarter since the iPhone was launched, despite the repeated claims to the contrary. Hit the link to read the full story.

A look at AT&T's "Financial and Operational Results" report tells a different tale: AT&T has spent less on network construction each quarter than it did after the launch of the first iPhone. Meanwhile, wireless data revenues have increased steadily each quarter.

I know for a fact before the iPhone launched AT&T used to spend over 5 billion a year on their networks. It was a point of pride, that we spent a lot more than VZW. Now I see the amount of money they could make from the iPhone enticed them too much.

I'm really disappointed.

I don't see how AT&T ever spent that much... their network for the last 5 years or so has always been the least reliable.... Sure they and T-Mobile are the only ones with dual data stream networks, but AT&T can barely send MMS messages if I remember right? And I don't know how many times I hear people complain about the dropped calls and lack of 3G coverage/reliability... My buddy who constantly goes from Indiana, to Texas, to New York to see family says that as soon as he leaves home he starts having major issues with getting 3G.

So far with my Motorola Droid, even with only 1 or 2 bar signal strength in some areas and everywhere I've gone in Indiana so far I have been able to get fast 3G.

Shocking [/sarcasm]
More bars in more places must mean beer, it certainly has zero to do with their service area.

I have a 1st-gen iPhone. Service was terrible, three years ago. It improved the 1st year I had it, but it hasn't improved at all in the past couple of years, and I swear it's getting worse.
It may not be as bad as some reports say, though. Even though AT&T isn't building as much, it is leasing other companies' services. This is good and bad. You get more coverage without roaming, but I can tell from experience that AT&T leased service tends to be shoddy with weak and intermittent signals.

What's wrong with AT&T is the same as other mega-corporations. CEOs don't care about the companies they work for. They all operate with a take-the-money-and-run strategy. They don't mind getting ousted in "shame", or sued, etc. They still end up with boatloads of money.
Blame the boards of these companies who hire them. I think board members use take-the-money-and-run strategy, too. The regular employees and customers suffer.
I'm switching to an HTC w/ WinMob 6.5, or the Droid. And switching to Verizon or Sprint. They seem to work best in Colorado.

From personal experience I am loving the Droid :) Had an old Windows Mobile phone, but haven't tried 6.5. My girlfriend has the Palm Pre and it's a very nice phone too, but the Droid's multitasking, larger screen, better camera, more apps sealed the deal for me.

I don't see how AT&T ever spent that much... their network for the last 5 years or so has always been the least reliable.... Sure they and T-Mobile are the only ones with dual data stream networks, but AT&T can barely send MMS messages if I remember right? And I don't know how many times I hear people complain about the dropped calls and lack of 3G coverage/reliability... My buddy who constantly goes from Indiana, to Texas, to New York to see family says that as soon as he leaves home he starts having major issues with getting 3G.

They really did spend that much. The main thing with AT&T was spreading out as much service as possible, not just focusing on 3G. And AT&T has no problem with sending MMS, it was just the iPhone that wasn't supported for some odd reason.

3G coverage does not equal coverage in general, and a few years back VZW was a LOT worse off than they are now. They have been pushing out EVDO in as many areas as possible without actually beefing up the network structure past that.

Lately, VZW has been pulling ahead after the acquisition of Alltel, that really pushed them forward a lot. They had more leeway to introduce a wider 3G coverage to the country, while AT&T was still focusing on covering more areas than beefing up their network.

Now, I'm not excusing the fact that AT&T has been spending less money to work on their network, because that's just crap. They should be putting at least as much into their network as they used to.

I think ever since the whole confusing acquisitions/takeovers between Cingular and AT&T, that the AT&T thing was a turn for the worse. I started working for them right at the time they had become AT&T, and got the last dregs of the old customer service folks and service before they switched it out with AT&T's horrid service. They were much better a few years back as Cingular.

Summary: VZW is a great company, but they aren't mystically better than AT&T. They have their own issues with the way they handle business and customers, and the way they spread their coverage. I just think that AT&T needs to fire De La Vega, and finally get their heads out of their collective asses, and stop letting the iPhone sales go to their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom