Straight Talk Unlimited Data

nonsensical

Beta member
Ok guys I'm going to throw you for a loop here because its a long story. I use windows XP service pack 3. My cell is a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim

I live in a rural area of the midwest USA and the only ISPs here charge outrages rates and have horrible service. So I started looking for a new solution to have internet in my area. Surprisingly we have extremely good cellular reception including data coverage. When Straight talk began selling smartphones I purchased one and began using PDAnet to tether my to my computer. At first the speed was amazing for my area, as expected with 3g. Recently it has dropped down to 100kbps and I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. I'm not sure if my data has been throttled thanks to excessive use but for some reason I doubt it. I'm completely out of ideas and have just recently contacted customer service with Straight Talk to resolve the issue with no reply as of yet. I will be calling to complain tomorrow but I was hoping that perhaps there is a simple solution to this. Maybe it is PDAnet or a bad USB connection? Could you guys tell me where to start off?

Seriously guys, just pointing me in the right direction would be extremely helpful. Maybe a tutorial on changing ports/encrypting my data use. I'm not a programmer here but I'm not dumb either.

Please reply soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
traight Talk is not responsible and will not be liable for any modifications, interruptions or discontinuation of Mobile Web Service or for your failure to receive any purchased Web Content. If Mobile Web Service, or any part thereof, is modified, interrupted, discontinued or cancelled, Straight Talk will NOT issue any refunds or reimburse you for any remaining used or unused Services.

Straight Talk Mobile Web Service is provided on an “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” basis. Straight Talk does not warrant that the Mobile Web Service will be uninterrupted or error or virus-free.

The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

That is all from their terms of service. They nor anyone here will be able to help you. From what I am reading, it sounds like you are tethering your phone to your PC and they have every right to throttle or even cancel your subscription. Yes they do know when you tether.

Last edited:
Strait talk data is technically unlimited but they will throttle you after 2gb of data which is likely what happened to you.

Yes they do know when you tether.
I can insure you they have no idea I'm tethering. I'm pretty smart about it, all they see is a black hole of data use.
Strait talk data is technically unlimited but they will throttle you after 2gb of data which is likely what happened to you.
Is there any other service that offers unlimited data that is ACTUALLY unlimited? Broadband is my only option in my area. Other ISPs have to install a satellite dish the size of a house in my yard for hundreds of dollars. If I could find another service and simply replace the SIM card that would be great.

Or maybe there is a work around they're throttling? It wouldn't bother me too much if I got caught since its prepaid. I'd just be out a months service.

Does anyone miss alltel as much as I do? They had fantastic data and calling plans!

I can assure you, they know. If you dont think so, just ask anyone with AT&T, Verizon or any other carrier that has had their service charged extra cause they tethered their device to another device. Every provider knows when you tether cause your phone is acting like a modem, not the end use device. There is a difference and they know. They do see the amount of data used, but they also see that you are in violation of their terms of use. Be happy they are only throttling you and not cutting you off completely for breaking their rules.

T-Mobile does now offer unlimited, but they do not allow for tethering.

So your just gonna have to either pay for what you want to use or lose your monthly service.

Is there any other service that offers unlimited data that is ACTUALLY unlimited? Broadband is my only option in my area. Other ISPs have to install a satellite dish the size of a house in my yard for hundreds of dollars. If I could find another service and simply replace the SIM card that would be great.

Or maybe there is a work around they're throttling? It wouldn't bother me too much if I got caught since its prepaid. I'd just be out a months service.

Does anyone miss alltel as much as I do? They had fantastic data and calling plans!

From what I have heard Verizon has been looking the other way on LTE users who use a lot of data but it's only a matter of time before they start throttling that as well.

Tmobile is going to start offering a truly unlimited plan for phones soon but it does not include tethering.

I can assure you, they know. If you dont think so, just ask anyone with AT&T, Verizon or any other carrier that has had their service charged extra cause they tethered their device to another device. Every provider knows when you tether cause your phone is acting like a modem, not the end use device. There is a difference and they know. They do see the amount of data used, but they also see that you are in violation of their terms of use. Be happy they are only throttling you and not cutting you off completely for breaking their rules.

T-Mobile does now offer unlimited, but they do not allow for tethering.

So your just gonna have to either pay for what you want to use or lose your monthly service.

There are ways to hide the fact that you are tethering so they would be unable to tell but that still won't resolve throttling due to high usage.

I have yet to find a way to truly hide it. I talk to reps who work for the 3 major companies in the states and every single one of them can tell when someone is tethering. Even when trying to hide it.

I have not heard of Verizon looking the other way. In fact a very close friend just got a bill with tethering charges, even with an unlimited plan and trying to hide it. So yeah, you may think your hiding it but they know. They will only look the other way for so long. It is well known that AT&T goes after people, just look at all those iPhone users that got messages about tethering.

Sorry but what I heard from people who work internally with the companies is vastly different than the developers who say they came up with a "sure fire" way to hide it. Cause they dont have the internal access that those people have to know. They are only guessing that they are hiding the fact or they just havent been charged for it yet.

From what I have heard Verizon has been looking the other way on LTE users who use a lot of data but it's only a matter of time before they start throttling that as well.

IIRC, when VZW bought the LTE band (can't remember what frequency range it was exactly), there was a clause in the agreement that they can't throttle the LTE band. I remember reading it on XDA a month ago or so.

IIRC, when VZW bought the LTE band (can't remember what frequency range it was exactly), there was a clause in the agreement that they can't throttle the LTE band. I remember reading it on XDA a month ago or so.

Yes, and from what I've read it's actually ILLEGAL for cell phone companies to block or restrict "tethering" (or any other form of data usage, for that matter).

Yes, and from what I've read it's actually ILLEGAL for cell phone companies to block or restrict "tethering" (or any other form of data usage, for that matter).

No. They have every right to block and restrict tethering. If you read your contract, you will see that your data is for that device and that device only. It is stated as such via the IMEI of the phone and the SIM Card in use, if applicable. I do cell phone contracts and I can tell you that such information is there. So when you sign the contract to get that phone at that discounted price, you fully agree that you will not use Data for anything but that IMEI. They can show that you are not using it for that IMEI with the Tethering and therefor in violation of your contract.

Too bad that information is stored within the company records. Cause I know Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint all know exactly which phone with which IMEI you have. So they can always show that you have that phone on your contract with those terms. They have every right to block tethering. Just cause users dont want them to doesnt mean it is illegal.

Back
Top Bottom