smartphone technology out of date

usacustomers

Baseband Member
Have you noticed compatibility issues with your smart phone & web pages? This seems to be a real issue where web pages are built for laptops & desktops & not your smart phones. Obviously paying over $600.00 for a smart phone & going to your favorite website to play a game only to realize your phone isn't able to load the web page, is a real nuisance. Basically you can buy a laptop for $400.00 & a $10.00 phone for more compatibility which will save you money & a headache in comparison. Has anyone else came across other issues with their smart phone?

Last edited:
That depends on the smartphone and the website you are trying to load. Most decent websites have a mobile friendly version which you have the option to use.

That depends on the smartphone and the website you are trying to load. Most decent websites have a mobile friendly version which you have the option to use.
That's the exact point. Web developers shouldn't have to create an additional design just for mobile users. Web developers have already created a design, mobile companies should build better technology to support existing technology.

To be fair, it's kind of up to web developers to build responsive web pages. Most websites see more mobile traffic than desktop. I guess that's just the trend, and it's not going to change any time soon.

That's the exact point. Web developers shouldn't have to create an additional design just for mobile users. Web developers have already created a design, mobile companies should build better technology to support existing technology.

The layout of a mobile device and desktop computer are radically different, and constitute completely different designs. Menu locations, flow of the document, text/picture positioning, and input methods are much different than a laptop/desktop. Plus resolution is different (most standard devices are <=720p, where as flagship/higher end devices are 1080p), and are usually in portrait layout (in regards to phones, tablets vary more) thus also constituting a different layout/design.

I wouldn't want to see a full desktop-enabled site on my phone/tablet (or vice versa). Some things are broken/unsupported or aren't really meant for mobile (i.e. hover effects is the first thing that comes to mind). A mobile-view is generally compact with specialized or minimal styling/scripts involved. That being said, pretty much every mobile browser I've seen (at least on Android) allow you to request the desktop version of the site and render it as a full page, rather than the mobile view. If you want to see the full page, by all means go ahead and use the desktop site.

To be fair, it's kind of up to web developers to build responsive web pages. Most websites see more mobile traffic than desktop. I guess that's just the trend, and it's not going to change any time soon.
They "said" it was a trend to have more mobile users then desktop users be careful what you believe. I have seen a popular site statistics and it was desktop users in the lead in fact. Technology with desktop & mobile designs are totally wrecked out for example; try to share>embed a youtube video>on a website that has both mobile & desktop versions, you will find that the youtube video embedded looks good on the desktop version but is way off of it's design in the mobile version. We are talking about youtube a top 5 website in the whole world which has no mobile technology for embedding video's. My statement still stands, It's the smart phone's job not the web developers, youtube has been around longer then the iphone.

The layout of a mobile device and desktop computer are radically different, and constitute completely different designs. Menu locations, flow of the document, text/picture positioning, and input methods are much different than a laptop/desktop. Plus resolution is different (most standard devices are <=720p, where as flagship/higher end devices are 1080p), and are usually in portrait layout (in regards to phones, tablets vary more) thus also constituting a different layout/design.

I wouldn't want to see a full desktop-enabled site on my phone/tablet (or vice versa). Some things are broken/unsupported or aren't really meant for mobile (i.e. hover effects is the first thing that comes to mind). A mobile-view is generally compact with specialized or minimal styling/scripts involved. That being said, pretty much every mobile browser I've seen (at least on Android) allow you to request the desktop version of the site and render it as a full page, rather than the mobile view. If you want to see the full page, by all means go ahead and use the desktop site.
The compact view in your smart phone is due to out-dated technology. To view the desktop version on a smart phone would eventually cause errors. Basically, your paying triple for out-dated smart phone technology on the contrary of buying a $100.00 laptop that can actually load a web page.

Last edited:
They "said" it was a trend to have more mobile users then desktop users be careful what you believe. I have seen a popular site statistics and it was desktop users in the lead in fact. Technology with desktop & mobile designs are totally wrecked out for example; try to share>embed a youtube video>on a website that has both mobile & desktop versions, you will find that the youtube video embedded looks good on the desktop version but is way off of it's design in the mobile version. We are talking about youtube a top 5 website in the whole world which has no mobile technology for embedding video's. My statement still stands, It's the smart phone's job not the web developers, youtube has been around longer then the iphone.
Define "looks better". You can set the quality on the video on mobile as well. HTML5 solved any embedding issues because mobile doesn't support flash anymore. Besides, YouTube has an app for Android/iOS/WinPhone - you should try to use the app over the webpage when you can. Android will a lot of the time just hook into the YouTube app and bring the video up in there, which supports more mobile-friendly features (swiping, pinching, etc.).

The compact view in your smart phone is due to out-dated technology. To view the desktop version on a smart phone would eventually cause errors. Basically, your paying triple for out-dated smart phone technology on the contrary of buying a $100.00 laptop that can actually load a web page.

"outdated technology" ? How is it outdated? It's a smaller resolution screen that's touch-driven. The compact view I'm referring to is exactly that: a lower resolution, smaller screen. Most standard webpages are tiny on mobile view because they're optimized for desktop displays. That's why a mobile view is implemented - to allow the text/images/etc be viewable and usable on a smaller sized display. Depending on the website, the desktop version may not look as good on low resolution/high density displays (mobile devices) nor be as friendly on a touch-driven device. And even if there is an issue with the mobile view of a page, you can enable the desktop version in most mobile browsers and get the fully-featured page. I don't know about you, but I can't carry around a laptop in my pocket. My phone fits nicely in my pocket; hell even my Nexus 7 can fit decently in my back pocket if its not in its case.

Last edited:
This. Web developers get paid to develop web sites, not be lazy. There is a huge surge in mobile technology, mobile gaming, mobile development, and ect for a reason. People do more on the go than sit at home. It's up to the web developer to get paid to cater to ALL audiences to broaden the site viewing.

Youtube has been around longer, but its relevancy is only about as old as Smartphones. Youtube didn't really start getting popular until about 2008 or so. Youtube also has an app, like most popular sites do, made specifically for smart phones and in fact work really well if developed properly.

You also have to take into consideration that smart phones and mobile browsing has only been a "thing" for about 5 years, whereas desktop browsing has been around since the internet became a "thing". The desktop will obviously have a bias towards internet usage on this front alone but mobile browsing is quickly catching up. Most people who post here even post from their phones while at work.

The compact view is due to having a smaller screen, simple as that. There are more phones than I can count on both hands that have a higher or similar resolution and better technology (IPS) than my desktop monitor. A lot of phones have the computing power of small laptops even, which is why they are ideal for being on the go, hence why they are so popular.

tl;dr If there wasn't so many users there wouldn't be so much demand.

Define "looks better".
I placed the youtube embedded code on a website that is both desktop & mobile friendly. The desktop version accepts the youtube video in it's design nicely. The mobile version on the other hand looks awkward with the youtube video being wider then the whole mobile design itself.

---- <----mobile design width
_______ <----youtube video width wider then the mobile design

Back
Top Bottom