Smart Phone Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smack

Baseband Member
So I've been doing a lot of research this time before rushing into getting a new contracted smart phone. I originally got the Blackberry Curve 8520 on a cheap monthly deal back in August. I still technically have it for another 15 months or so, but my sister is going to pay me for it and she'll have it on a lower tariff.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and seeing ratings of phones, and the Samsung Galaxy S is definitely something I'm looking in to. There's also the HTC Desire HD, and I also read a review where they placed the HTC Desire ahead of the HD here. According to that the Nexus is a very similar phone, though I've not done much research into the Nexus I'm afraid.

Any phone bar the iPhone is an option, due to the fact I can't get a discounted contract with any iPhone deals, which is a shame. The deals I'm looking at are:

(Note: All contracts are 24 months unless stated otherwise.)

Samsung Galaxy S:
100 minutes / 500 texts / 500 MB - £25pm - Cashback works out at £15.63 a month.
300 minutes /unlimited texts / 750 mb - £30.64 pm - Cashback @ £20.43pm

HTC Desire HD
100 minutes / 500 texts / 500 MB - £25pm - Cashback @ £18.75pm
300 minutes /unlimited texts / 750 mb - £30.64 pm - Cashback @ £22.98pm

HTC Desire
300 minutes /unlimited texts / 500 mb - £25.54 - Cashback @ £14.90pm

There is an 18 month contract for the HTC Desire and the Galaxy S:
100 minutes / 500 texts / 500 MB - £30pm - Cashback @ £16.67

There are a ton of other phone options as well, so if anyone has any other recommendations, I can get the prices to compare with those above too. Looking for any advice you've got.

I have personally owned a Samsung Galaxy S phone. The Captivate for AT&T. It is a great phone. I have heard great things about HTC Devices. But for my money i would go right back to Samsung and the Galaxy S line in an instant. They have the new Galaxy S 2 coming out soon as well. By far i would recommend anything Android based over iOS or WP7.

Galaxy S was my first choice, followed by the HTC Desire. I know 2 or 3 people who rejected upgrades to the HD, since it's just not a good enough upgrade. Not sure when the Galaxy S 2 is out, but either way I won't be able to get it on a cheaper than normal contract since it'll be so new. :(

Going to wait on this forum and another forum I post on a bit longer, to see if anyone has any recommendations. I still need to wait for my BlackBerry to come back from being repaired before I get a new phone, so there's a week and a half to wait still.

Any idea when the new Samsung does come out though?

Not for a while yet. I heard April or May. Considering that the Atrix was $200 to get it with a contract upgrade i highly doubt you will see the Galaxy S 2 be any cheaper. The upgrade for the Galaxy S 4G is still at $150 over here right now. That isnt even the 2nd version of the phone, just the updated one to use 4G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom