Sim-card phone with GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I don't know jack about phones anymore. I have T-mobile and a POS phone so I'm looking for a phone with GPS and QWERTY keyboard and hopefully a good price (used, ebay, w/e). It needs to take SIM card from T-mobile. Which one should I get?
Oh and I don't want data plan, I have just talk+text so ideally I want a GPS that works without data, I don't even know if that's possible.

Plusses are if the phone is light and small, and no flip or slide-out (just brick would be nice)

thanks

Okay you need to specify if you want US T-Mo or UK T-Mo. Next I highly doubt you will get GPS without Data. Cause you will not be able to use it on the go without data. There is no way around that. The only thing you could do is plan your route before you leave using WiFi and then the route would not be able to auto update. But the fact of the matter is almost all units that come with GPS are now smartphones. Cant get one of those without Data. At least in the states. Not sure if you can in the UK. Dont know the companies over there.

I'm in the US.

Isn't there satellite GPS like the TomTom GPS units use, except on the phone?

No. Even the Garmin phones still require a data plan.

It's possible that you can look into getting a Smartphone Lite. It is the middle point between consumer (candy-bar) phones and full fledged smartphones. This way you don't need to pay the expensive price of a smartphone but still possibly have a GPS application on the phone. I do not know off hand if there is actually any lite smartphone that has GPS functions.

Regardless, in any case you still always need data on any GPS or map application on any phone. If I was you, maybe I would look into getting an actual GPS device instead. Maybe find one second-hand and pay less than retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom