Should a Support Tech Use a Tablet?

Jerrduford

Solid State Member
I'm a relatively new technician in the field. I can pretty actively support anything from Laptops to servers. I've been really confident with my laptop, but now that I start to see other technicians carrying tablets (whether they're as their main device or they're just using them as a means of testing with other tablets), I was curious on user input on using them.

I personally have been eyeballing tablets since they started coming out with full Windows 8 operating systems on them. I may even be interested in replacing my laptop (nearly the size/weight of an ultrabook) with something more portable. Lugging this thing and its case around can sometimes be a drag when I also have a toolbag and lunchbox.

Has anyone in the field used a tablet as a main device? Recommend it? Hated it?
I'm basically just looking for someone to either tell me to buy one, or not, and why.

My main fears are battery life and perhaps performance. I can attach USB to RJ45 if a networking situation calls for hard connection, and I can connect an external printer/optical drive if the situation calls for that.

As a main device? I wouldn't. For certain aspects in the field, yes a tablet is nice. I've used one a few times at work when I have to work on a system and I can just remote into my system at my desk rather than lugging my laptop around.

As a main device? I wouldn't. For certain aspects in the field, yes a tablet is nice. I've used one a few times at work when I have to work on a system and I can just remote into my system at my desk rather than lugging my laptop around.

Interesting concept. I have considered the idea of getting a tablet (back when androids were first emerging and popular) and using it 100% as a virtual connection to say, my home desktop.

Of course, there are still limitations there, but, with Windows 8 pro out there on tablets, remote desktop connection would be great. I'd still have to purchase a static line for home though.. Any experience with this?

You don't need to purchase a static IP for your house...

I remote into my home server all the time via my tablet and laptop, at home and everywhere else.

Set a static local IP on your network for your computer, and then just forward the port for Remote Desktop (3389 I believe) on your router. Then you can type in your external IP (go to whatsmyip or ipchicken or something similar to get your IP), and then you can type in your IP + port in the RD connection, and it will prompt for credentials.

You could also setup TeamViewer to access persistently.

The only time your external IP will reset is when you unplug your modem for an extended period of time or the ISP resets the lease.

I guess I was just after 100% reliability. Not sure how often Comcast resets my public IP, but my room mate does tend to reset the router/modem every damn time his Internet slows down.

I'll look into teamviewer. Would you use that over GoToMyPC/logmein?

The modem IP will usually only get reset if the modem is unplugged for 24 hours possibly (depends on your ISP's lease time I suppose).

I've had service go out several times, as well as resetting the modem, and still have the same public IP.

TeamViewer is nice; you could also use UltraVNC.

Gotcha, I haven't experimented much with my personal home router and public IP settings.
I just know that in the business world we always have them buy a static line, but for obvious other reasons, it does make RDP much more reliable for those who aren't as tech savvy.

I've used teamviewer and similar programs for simple remote assistance, but I just configured my teamviewer for unattended access. Very nice, never really played with this feature before. I may consider getting a cheapie android tablet and using it for quick jobs at work, virtualizing my home server as needed.

Mostly, I just want to force-feed myself into the tablet world. Lots of people are moving towards them, and I don't have much experience in trying to turn one into a PC replacement (as most users are trying to do).

Thanks again for your input, greatly appreciated.

I just don't think limiting yourself in the confines of a tablet is the smart way to go for a technician. Sure, you can troubleshoot wireless network stuff, but when it comes right down to it, there's nothing like a laptop on the road.

Mostly, I just want to force-feed myself into the tablet world. Lots of people are moving towards them, and I don't have much experience in trying to turn one into a PC replacement (as most users are trying to do).

Thanks again for your input, greatly appreciated.

I personally wouldn't consider a tablet as a laptop replacement, but more as a laptop supplement. There'll be times when having a laptop will be better than a tablet; and there will be times when a tablet is just fine as well.

I've actually decided to just go with the Nexus 4 (or something similar) later this year when my phone contract with Sprint is up.
I've done a lot of shopping around, and for the price of a tablet (whether I can afford it or not) they just won't get their value for me.

I need a new phone anyways, and I can always turn the phone into nearly as capable as a tablet if I really need to.

Back
Top Bottom