Setting up a bluetooth treasure hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

u1bd2005

Beta member
Hi, I've noticed in certain public areas if you have bluetooth enabled you tend to get automatic messages such as advertisements.

I'm thinking this would be good encorporation into a treasure hunt.

E.g Clue 1 leads you to an area close to the bluetooth signal, you will then get bluetoothed the clue leading to the next location.

How would I go about setting this up in the open area such as a wooded area etc...

What would I need to do this? would a cheap phone (bluetooth enabled and kept in a waterproof plastic bag incase of bad weather) be able to do this if it was loaded with specific software?

Where would I find specific software?

Anything else you think I should know?

Many Thanks
u1bd2005

Would probably be easier to setup a Geocache location, and then people (usually with smartphones and GPS with a geocaching app [free]).

Yeh it's for Geocaching, but I thought since people are trying to make unique geocaches I would try my hand at a bluetooth style multi-cache. (gps coordinates for location near bluetooth, which would then bluetooth you a clue leading to the next coordinates.)

If you get what i mean.

The easiest way I could think of doing it, would be to setup the geocache coordinates, and then if you're going to be doing it with a cheap dumbphone in a plastic baggy or something, have like a text message or a note saved on it giving the next clue.

But if you're going to do it this way, you might as well as jut leave out the middle-man, and not use a dumbphone in a plastic baggy (just in case of condensation inside the back, etc.). Might as well just use some cheap containers (Altoid tins?) and have a note inside of it, leading to the next clue.

Not all phones can have software put on them and such; I'm going to say the advertisements that are pushed out via BT in cities like you mentioned are through computers and BT hotspot type things. But that's just a guess, as I've never experienced them (I don't live in a well-enough populated area, and I usually have my BT off anyway).

Yeh I was thinking that it would maybe have to be done via a computer, maybe I'll go with the idea of a note or clue inside of a container when I do my multi-cache if no-one else comes up with a solution.

Ty for the replies so far guys.
u1bd2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom