Selling a Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICKYPETUNIA

Baseband Member
Hi,

I want to sell my cell phones, and I know there are so many tell-tale signs of my presence left on my phones- most I probably don't even know about! I have accumulated these phones as the years passed, so I no longer have ties with any of the companies. What are the steps I would need to go through on my own in order to "wipe them clean" and make them ready for brand new people, and strangers at that? In other words, I don't want the new owners to know anything about the old owner (me!). I'd appreciate it if someone really spelled everything out -each and every step you know about - of what to do and what not to miss. Thank you to everyone in advance!

Re: SELLING A CELL PHONE...

Well first would have to be what phones? I mean just saying you have old phones is one thing, but asking for advice on how to wipe them without giving us any information on which phones they are kinda defeats the purpose. We cant really help if we dont know that information.

The next thing to know would be what kind of buyers market there is for such phones and what carriers they are for. I mean having an old Cell One phone isnt going to do anyone any good as they wont work on any current carriers. Heck even some old Cingular phones wont work even though AT&T bought them out.

Most people are in the market for smart phones now. So trying to sell non-smart phones is tough. People want a phone that can do it all and not one that can just make calls and send texts. So your best bet might just be to wipe them and either donate them or recycle them.

again, how do i wipe them? what i do with the phones is up to me. i am asking HOW to wipe cell phones. And half of them are androids, half are not, but that doesn't matter for what i want to do. Here are the phones listed them below:

a samsung t401g
a samsung t459g
a motorla razr
a nokia care
an lg optimus q
a sony ericsson z750a

I know there are basic generic steps involved in clearing out phones, and I am simply asking what they are and what other steps might be involved,too. If you or anybody else can't help, then don't. I am asking for true help. If you can help me learn in a constructive manner, then please write me. I thought that was supposed to be the point of this site. If you can help me, that would be great. but i need someone to explain this to me, and if you don't have the patience for me, let someone else take a crack at it. thanks to anybody that wants to help and take the time to help.

Again we cant tell you HOW unless you tell us which phones they are. There is NO universal way to wipe a cell phone. A Samsung is far different than a LG which is far different than a Motorola.

But since you cant seem to get that point and think that there is only 1 way to do something among all the manufacturer's out there, good luck. You would rather fight than answer a simple question about what phones they are then you can read the Android Material and Owners manuals to get the help you need. You failed to give the devices. You fail to understand that the steps are DEVICE SPECIFIC.

So stop trying to fight me on everything I say and get over your attitude already. It is old and tiresome, like trying to help you.

Android phones are pretty universal. It would be in Settings -> Backup & reset -> Factory data reset

And a Google search should return results for the other phones. I mean the manual has to be online somewhere :tongue:

Found these:
Samsung T401G
From this site, which could be of major use.
http://www.hard-reset.com/

And Mak. I'm on the OP's side here.. There isn't a need to post unless you have some kind of constructive comment to add. If you don't want to help him, then so be it. Just don't comment. I'm usually passive about these things, but I've seen you berate other members in thread after thread.

And Mak. I'm on the OP's side here.. There isn't a need to post unless you have some kind of constructive comment to add. If you don't want to help him, then so be it. Just don't comment. I'm usually passive about these things, but I've seen you berate other members in thread after thread.

My first comment was simply to ask what the phones were. There is nothing wrong in what I asked up front. I then added to it by saying that trying to sell an older phone will be tough cause the buyers market for such phones is pretty much gone. Nothing wrong with stating obvious facts about the current state of the cell phone market. Considering it is what I do for a living, I think I have an idea on what most consumers are looking for in phones now a days compared to most.

The OP went on to lecture me telling me that I should just give instructions on how to wipe a phone, still with no information on what phones they were or what OS they were running. Trying to make it sound like there was a universal way to wipe a phone when that is simply not true. Only after telling me off does she bother to mention the phones in use.

I fully know and understand that it is their right to sell the phones and do what they want, but it doesnt negate the fact that the phones were never listed up front. All I did was ask what phones they were and to inform them that trying to sell older phones might be tougher than expected. Didnt realize that giving out such information is so wrong.

I will say the same thing I have said to others, I have no ill intentions with my posts. You people reading them are the ones putting the emotions into them, or what you think my emotions are when you read them. I am only stating simple facts and truths about what I am posting. Just like I am going to do here.

You can wipe an Android phone all you want, but the simple fact is that anyone with any sort of PC knowledge can obtain your information from that phone. How do I know this you ask? Simple. Android uses only the FAT format on the SD cards for internal and external storage. Therefor all it would take would be a simple SD Card file recovery program to get all of your data back even after a wipe. For more information go ahead and read an article that was just posted today by Android Central about this very topic.

Securely wiping any device makes it just fine to sell [#FUDfighters] | Android Central

So as you can see, I am not merely just stating something to put the scare into people. It is in fact a truth and one that is not commonly known. Unless the OP is willing to disassemble the phone and replace the internal SD card with a brand new one, the risk is being run by just wiping the phone and selling it that her data could be recovered and used against her.

Sorry if it is wrong of me to try and give the most complete information that I can. I will make sure not to make the same mistakes anymore and only tell people what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear.

The fact that it took me calling you out for you to post useful information tells us a lot.

I know I'm not the first person to notice your supposedly non-existent constant bitter attitude, and Im sure i won't be the last.

I'm sure the OP will be happy to give the link a read. Thank you.

I'm looking at this thread on my cell phone, so number 1 it's hard to see the entire site. But second, I'm going to bed and can"t believe my question has amazingly caused a 45 page long thread. So i've perused it some and then jumped to this last page. I just needed help. I will have to read all of this tomorrow on my desktop to find out what happened. But I saw some true help, and I thank you IMMMENSELY. It,s very appreciated. Thank you, and hope everybody has has a better night.

Sorry about the mess, Petunia. We had an idiot that got loose on here last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom