Samsung Outsells Apple 8-to-5 in Smartphones during Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
I. Samsung Outsells Apple 8-to-5 in Smartphones

The company announced a strong quarter on Thursday.

Leading the way was the company's telecommunications (phone) business, which reported selling 28 million smartphones in Q3 2011. That's four times what Samsung sold last year and it's 65 percent more smartphone units than arch-rival Apple, Inc. (AAPL) sold in the quarter.

Robert Yi, Vice President and Head of Investor Relations, cheered his company's success, stating, "Despite the difficult business environment due to the economic slowdown in developed markets, Samsung achieved a solid performance and recovered its double-digit operating profit margin in the quarter, driven by strong sales of our smartphones."

Source: DailyTech - Samsung Posts Massive Quarter, Sells 65 Percent More Phones Than Apple

To be fair some of that may be due to people waiting for a 4s but even then it is quite an accomplishment on Samsung's part. They also have a very promising line this quarter with the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, and several variations the the Galaxy S2 so they should be able to maintain at least some of that momentum.

Given Samsung's grown and the many advantages they have over all other smartphone manufacturers it's no wonder that Apple is trying to sue them out of the market.

Apple had one Phone on Verizon's network and two on ATT's network. How many phones did Samsung have across how may carriers? I'd like to see how many phones Apple/Samsung sold on the carriers that Apple was available on.

I don't see how Apple limiting themselves to specific carriers makes a difference.

Its most certainly the 4s thats the cause
Agreed, considering they've sold at least five million of them. Had it been released a few months early the figures would match up much more closely.

Agreed, considering they've sold at least five million of them. Had it been released a few months early the figures would match up much more closely.

They might have, but it's their mistake. You can look at other products and see what happens when your late to the market. And everyones forgetting that people were not actually waiting on the iPhone 4S, they were waiting on the iPhone 5 but got the 4S instead. I can see a few lost sales because of that also.

Apple had one Phone on Verizon's network and two on ATT's network. How many phones did Samsung have across how may carriers? I'd like to see how many phones Apple/Samsung sold on the carriers that Apple was available on.

Yes but that is due to Apple themselves. Just read about what Sprint has had to do to cope with getting Apple on their service. They owe them something like $20 Billion over the course of the agreement. I highly doubt that Sprint is going to make that much in profit from just carrying that phone on their service. They are looking to not make a profit now until around 2014. That is 3 years that Sprint will have to lose money just so they could help sell a fraction of the 5 million iPhone 4S units.

So maybe if Apple wasnt so strict they could be on more providers like T-Mobile, Straight Talk, Blue, Boost and the countless others out there. But they make the carriers jump through so many hoops that the little known carriers and smaller carriers not be able to carry their device. Apple itself is the cause for the fact their phone is only available on 3 carriers to date. Apple also keeps the price of their phone at top level while other devices, that can do close to the same thing, cost much less.

Right now the iPhone 4S goes for $199 for the 8GB model which cant be extended. The Samsung Galaxy SII is on sale for $149 in my store and you can extend it with a MicroSD card yourself. So you can get 8GB of storage and for about $50 add an additional 32GB. So for the same amount that you would spend on the iPhone 4S you could have the same level phone with 40GB of storage. To get a comparable iPhone you would have to spend $299 and still not match the storage capacity.

It is still amazing the amount of devices they have sold for the limits they have put on themselves. But they better watch out. People are starting to get into a money pinch and will start looking at cheaper devices sooner or later.

Right now the iPhone 4S goes for $199 for the 8GB model which cant be extended. The Samsung Galaxy SII is on sale for $149 in my store and you can extend it with a MicroSD card yourself. So you can get 8GB of storage and for about $50 add an additional 32GB. So for the same amount that you would spend on the iPhone 4S you could have the same level phone with 40GB of storage. To get a comparable iPhone you would have to spend $299 and still not match the storage capacity.
To add to this, while not officially supported there are 64GB mSD cards that work in the Galaxy S/S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom