Samsung Nexus S

Status
Not open for further replies.
AWS phones, compatible list of newest 3G AWS phones.

Well if this list is true about devices your looking for i can say this:

Samsung Vibrant is a good phone. Running Eclair it is a bit out dated but a solid phone. Know of at least 4 people that own one.

The HTC HD2 is running the same OS that you have now. WM6.5 and i will say that when i sold this device, it was brought back just a couple days later frozen on almost every sale. So i would be weary of this one.

The G1 is good. I know a few that love that phone.

The Samsung Galaxy Line is always good. But really if it was me, i would go with the Nexus. Why not have the latest and greatest.

I've read some issues with people who upgraded to the newest Android, but as the phone comes installed, updating won't be a factor.

I most likely won't get a new phone for a 3yrs so, newer is better.

Thanks mak.... er K

Call me either mate. ;)

I have updated my Captivate and my Atrix. Neither of which gave me any issues. Maybe it is the jump to Gingerbread that causes issues, but updating from Eclair to Froyo was no issue at all.

I've read some issues with people who upgraded to the newest Android, but as the phone comes installed, updating won't be a factor.

I most likely won't get a new phone for a 3yrs so, newer is better.

Thanks mak.... er K

The Nexus S is perfect if you plan on keeping your phone for a while since it is the official Google phone and gets updated to the newest version of Android the day they are released to the public.

Call me either mate. ;)

I have updated my Captivate and my Atrix. Neither of which gave me any issues. Maybe it is the jump to Gingerbread that causes issues, but updating from Eclair to Froyo was no issue at all.

Hey, as the saying goes.... "Run run as fast as you can...... you can't catch the Gingerbread man"..... And yha it was a update to G'bread.

Well that could be the problem right there. Most of the "upgrades" to Gingerbread are not done through Google. They are custom made ROMS put out by people using the Gingerbread code. I have a Gingerbread ROM available for my Atrix if i really wanted it. But I dont want to run the risk of using a custom ROM like that. Gingerbread is not pushed on most of the devices listed. Samsung Galaxy phones are still on Eclair and not even yet on Froyo. So any running Gingerbread are custom jobs. That could easily explain the update issues, cause they are Rooting their devices and putting custom ROMS on them.

Even if Rogers and Bell did have updates, Samsung isnt pushing out those updates. Owning the Captivate i know that it isnt on Gingerbread cause it is waiting on Samsung to finish testing Froyo on the device. It was rumored that they were supposed to push out that update back in February but they never did. thats the thing about these phones. The manufacturer has the power to push out the updates. Just cause there is Gingerbread out, doesnt mean that your phone will have it. Motorola hasnt pushed Gingerbread onto the Atrix yet. The only update they pushed was for the phone itself with a better finger print reader, better voice quality and some other stuff.

So it could have also been a firmware update that caused these issues as well. Kinda like a Windows Update.

Official updates almost always cause problems if you try to apply them to a non stock phone. Most people who mod their phones are well aware of this though and take the time to use Odin to restore their phone to stock before using an official update.

I believe the updates you are talking about causing problems were Foryo. Samsung hasn't released any Gingerbread updates for their phones and judging by the leaks that have popped up they are still under development.

Even if Rogers and Bell did have updates, Samsung isnt pushing out those updates. Owning the Captivate i know that it isnt on Gingerbread cause it is waiting on Samsung to finish testing Froyo on the device. It was rumored that they were supposed to push out that update back in February but they never did. thats the thing about these phones. The manufacturer has the power to push out the updates. Just cause there is Gingerbread out, doesnt mean that your phone will have it. Motorola hasnt pushed Gingerbread onto the Atrix yet. The only update they pushed was for the phone itself with a better finger print reader, better voice quality and some other stuff.

So it could have also been a firmware update that caused these issues as well. Kinda like a Windows Update.

Samsung did release an official Froyo update for the Captivate in February, AT&T has just been taking their time pushing it out OTA. If you want the update it's on Samsung's site and you can download and install it over USB using Kies Mini. From what I have heard it was a pretty beneficial update too although I have yet to try it, I can't give up the extras Andromeda offers over stock.

How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To Android 2.2 (Froyo) Through Kies Mini For PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom