Samsung Nexus Prime leaked: 4.6" 1280x720 Super AMOLED display, 320ppi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
With all the fuss surrounding the Apple event today, you may have forgotten that an equally big announcement is coming next week. And we are first to deliver you a glimpse of what is to come at the Samsung Unpacked event, which will see the unveiling of the next Google flagship - Nexus Prime.

What you are seeing here is the first live photo of the Nexus Prime (or part of it), which comes to confirm several important specs of the upcoming device. First, we've got the HD resolution of the Super AMOLED confirmed - that's 720p on a screen just 4.6" in diagonal. As you can see from the image itself this gives you a pixel density of over 320 ppi, which is certainly more than anyone could need.

And don't be confused by the strange 1184 x 720 pixels resolution that appears on the system info. That's just the active area of the screen, with the status bar on the top and the three soft buttons on the bottom not counted. The Samsung Nexus Prime will surely come with a regular 1280 x 720 pixels screen.

We are not sure if the Samsung Nexus Prime display will be using the PenTile matrix, but we can bet that at this pixel density even the most eagle-eyed users won't be able to tell the difference. Just look at the shot, those letters look like printed on paper.

The final bit that we found out is that the Nexus Prime won't be having any hardware keys on the front. This was probably to be expected as Android Ice Cream Sandwich is based on Android Honeycomb, which doesn't rely on hardware controls for UI navigation.

Source: EXCLUSIVE: Samsung Nexus Prime first live shot leaks - GSMArena.com news

Good timing on the leak given how underwhelming the iPhone 4s was for many people. I think it's safe to say that the Prime's screen is definitely a huge step forward over anything currently available. I can't wait until it is officially announced so we can see what SoC it is running, hopefully it is the new 1.5ghz Exynos Samsung just announced but OMAP 4 may be another possibility.

My biggest hope for this device is that it will run Ice Cream Sandwich. If they release the Prime with only Gingerbread they will be hampering the phone IMHO. The best part is that the phone will run an untouched version of Android, which is a nice plus. No need for TouchWiz that Samsung uses, Sense that HTC uses or MotoBlur from Motorola. Just a pure and simple straight Android. At times I wish I could have that on my phone.

KSoD:1934243 said:
My biggest hope for this device is that it will run Ice Cream Sandwich. If they release the Prime with only Gingerbread they will be hampering the phone IMHO. The best part is that the phone will run an untouched version of Android, which is a nice plus. No need for TouchWiz that Samsung uses, Sense that HTC uses or MotoBlur from Motorola. Just a pure and simple straight Android. At times I wish I could have that on my phone.

It is a Nexus branded device so it is guaranteed to be pure Android.

The picture indicates that it has on screen buttons like the honeycomb tablets so Ice Cream Sandwich is also a safe bet.

While I also like stock android I can't really complain about touchwiz on gingerbread phones since it includes a gpu accelerated ui and browser that are substantially better than the stock gingerbread ones.

I have the nexus, and no extra fluff is really nice.

I'm getting abit mneh on theses huge phones.. 4.6" like comm'on I thought 4" was big. Soon we'll have tablets against our head.

I have the nexus, and no extra fluff is really nice.

I'm getting abit mneh on theses huge phones.. 4.6" like comm'on I thought 4" was big. Soon we'll have tablets against our head.

+1
A buddy of mine has the Desire HD and the 4.3" is just god awful huge. Plus add a case and you need cargo pants just to put it in your pocket. I'd like to see a packed ppi screen under 4".

I only use my phone as a hotspot for my tablet when I'm out of the house. I haven't made a call or received one on it in weeks. The though of opening an app on a phone depresses me. I won't buy another phone until I burn this one out and hopefully by that time they will be as thin as a pane of glass and translucent when not in use :thumbsup:

+1
A buddy of mine has the Desire HD and the 4.3" is just god awful huge. Plus add a case and you need cargo pants just to put it in your pocket. I'd like to see a packed ppi screen under 4".

Keep in mind that the Nexus Prime doesn't have any buttons on the front so it shouldn't be any bigger than a normal 4.3" phone with physical buttons. Plus HTC tends to make rather fat phones so I wouldn't be surprised if the Prime is noticeably thinner as well.

The fastest selling android phone is the Galaxy S2 which has a 4.3" screen so most people seem to have no problem with screens that size. Perosnally I would never consider buying a phone smaller than 4".

It is a Nexus branded device so it is guaranteed to be pure Android.

The picture indicates that it has on screen buttons like the honeycomb tablets so Ice Cream Sandwich is also a safe bet.

While I also like stock android I can't really complain about touchwiz on gingerbread phones since it includes a gpu accelerated ui and browser that are substantially better than the stock gingerbread ones.

Yes I know Nexus phones are pure Android. I said as much in my post. ;)

But the reason I say that I hope it is ICS and not Gingerbread is the fact that it isnt hard to mimic a pure Android look with the Honeycomb style on an Android phone. I can get almost the exact same look using ADW or Go Launcher and a Theme. The only thing that we know for sure right now is that it wont have any physical buttons. But I have seen ICS ported to other phones with buggy ROM leaks. So really aside from the 2 buttons at the bottom that closely resemble the Honeycomb look there is nothing that screams ICS to me.

I have seen the rumors that ICS will be ready for a Nov timeframe release. So it wouldnt shock me if it was truly ICS. But I have my doubts as it took a while to get Gingerbread on devices.

Yes I know Nexus phones are pure Android. I said as much in my post. ;)

But the reason I say that I hope it is ICS and not Gingerbread is the fact that it isnt hard to mimic a pure Android look with the Honeycomb style on an Android phone. I can get almost the exact same look using ADW or Go Launcher and a Theme. The only thing that we know for sure right now is that it wont have any physical buttons. But I have seen ICS ported to other phones with buggy ROM leaks. So really aside from the 2 buttons at the bottom that closely resemble the Honeycomb look there is nothing that screams ICS to me.

I have seen the rumors that ICS will be ready for a Nov timeframe release. So it wouldnt shock me if it was truly ICS. But I have my doubts as it took a while to get Gingerbread on devices.

It's been stated that ICS would be out in October and while most phones have to wait for updates that is never the case for the Nexus models, the Nexus S was launched at the same time as Gingerbread for example.

The only phone ICS has been seen on in the wild is a single Nexus S that turned up on ebay recently. Plus if this phone was running a custom UI it would be ToouchWiz since it is a Samsung phone.

That is a huge phone.. Didn't they make 5" tablets? I think Dell had one for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom