Samsung Galaxy Note first impressions

What negatives do they have?
Yeah I'm curious too, I don't really know any negatives compared to LCD... they're more durable, use less power, provide a wider color gamut at a lower price point, have much better blacks, and are generally really bright.

The only disadvantage I know of is that displaying blue colours reduces that pixel's lifespan much faster than other colours. And that's mostly been fixed.

The only disadvantage I know of is that displaying blue colours reduces that pixel's lifespan much faster than other colours. And that's mostly been fixed.

Huh... I have never heard that... odd how that one color would cause an issue. Glad they fixed it though.

Huh... I have never heard that... odd how that one color would cause an issue. Glad they fixed it though.

A bit old but shows the difference.
UDC PHOLED material performance update - green now reaches 1.4 million hours
20,000 hours is 2.2 years btw; so, say you have the screen on for 8 hours a day (which for me is quite a lot) it'll last 6.6 years, by which time it will probably have been replaced. Plus there's ways around the issue, for example by increasing the relative size of the sub-pixels (i.e. the blue will be larger than the red to compensate).

According to Wikipedia,
"Additionally, as the OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors,"
It's something to do with quantum efficiency, and that's where I stopped looking into it :p

Okay so an update to this. I got to use the phone almost all day today. Got the Note for the wife and had to transfer all her stuff off of her Captivate to the Note and I played with it a little bit.

Overall I love the feel of the phone. It is great. While some complain of lag and slowness, I did not see that at all when doing various things on the phone. From internet to downloading apps to moving files around from the external to internal SD card. The phone was moving just as fast if not faster than my Atrix. Granted it is slated to run at 1.5GHz compared to my Atrix at 1.3GHz, yes it is overclocked, but still. The phone handled everything I threw at it and then some. It not only moved files quickly but was able to restore 3,000 text messages in roughly 2 minutes.

All in all the phone is great. The size is perfect for me and with the next upgrade for us not due until Oct now, it makes me wonder if I shall still go with the Note or go with the Galaxy III when it is released. With my experience today, there is nothing on the GIII that makes it scream that it is worth the purchase over the Note. Yes it will be quad core, yes it will have ICS already with minimal interference from TouchWiz, but that is not the point. The specs do not make up everything. The use of the phone for me was fantastic. I enjoyed using the SPen as well and was able to write out a text message just as fast as I could type it. The ability to switch between writing and typing for messages is a fantastic feature. The SPen also has a button on it, when pressed, the stylus becomes inactive. So if you dont want to do something with the pen, you just click the button and use yoru finger like you normally would.

Also I do not have a screen protector on the phone at this time, even so the screen had minimal marks from fingers on it. It was almost as if I had barely touched the screen when I had been doing things with it all day. Compared to other phones, this is by far one of the best screens for anti-smudging that I have seen. All in all I would have to say that the Note still will be my purchase when the next upgrade is due.

Back
Top Bottom