Samsung Galaxy Note first impressions

I don't really care how I look holding a large pad to my head, but it is slightly awkwardly large to do it, like you have to slightly strain your hand.

Looks like they are going to be bringing this device over to Verizon as the Samsung Journal later this year (Summer 2012?). Should be interesting to see if they change the specs at all.

Looks like they are going to be bringing this device over to Verizon as the Samsung Journal later this year (Summer 2012?). Should be interesting to see if they change the specs at all.

Verizon has the Galaxy Tab 7.7 which is Exynos powered so hopefully the Journal will get the same Exynos SoC as the original Note instead of Snapdragon. Although depending on when the Journal comes out it could always have a Exynos 4412 quad core.

Verizon has the Galaxy Tab 7.7 which is Exynos powered so hopefully the Journal will get the same Exynos SoC as the original Note instead of Snapdragon. Although depending on when the Journal comes out it could always have a Exynos 4412 quad core.

Why would any need a Quad in a phone or tablet? They have yet to utilize the Dual Core properly on phones and tablets. Going to quad is just senseless and useless. ICS jsut started to take advantage of Dual Core. Gingerbread did it a little bit and Froyo had no support for it at all. I fail to see why a Quad would do anything but kill your battery faster than anything while not being utilized to the fullest. That is completely going against everything that the Note and Samsung are going for.

They are trying to show how this can be a device for everyday and everything use. They put in a beefy battery, the largest one I have seen yet, and for some they still only get 8 hours of use out of it using the Dual Core CPU. Putting in a quad would mean that people would have to be by a charger after about 5-6 hours. That doesnt even get some people thru their work shift let alone a day.

I cant agree with using a Quad in a phone/tablet mix. It would hamper the lifetime of the device and be counter productive. If people are like myself and work 12+ hours a day and do not have the luxury of being near a plug cause they are constantly moving, no way a Quad core would last them. I can just make it with my Dual Core and a 1880mA as it is right now. I am in the teens with my battery % when I leave work and have to plug it in to my car charger on the way home. This would be so counter productive for people to use the Journal if that was the case.

I have my doubts that even with the 2200mA battery the Note has that it will last me an entire shift. I will have to not have Wifi, BT or any Sync on. I will have to make sure I got nothing running in the back ground as well. Then I bet it will last my entire shift. But if I leave everything I got going on now on, no way that phone will make it from 6am when I leave to 8pm when I walk back in the door.

Why would any need a Quad in a phone or tablet? They have yet to utilize the Dual Core properly on phones and tablets. Going to quad is just senseless and useless. ICS jsut started to take advantage of Dual Core. Gingerbread did it a little bit and Froyo had no support for it at all. I fail to see why a Quad would do anything but kill your battery faster than anything while not being utilized to the fullest. That is completely going against everything that the Note and Samsung are going for.

They are trying to show how this can be a device for everyday and everything use. They put in a beefy battery, the largest one I have seen yet, and for some they still only get 8 hours of use out of it using the Dual Core CPU. Putting in a quad would mean that people would have to be by a charger after about 5-6 hours. That doesnt even get some people thru their work shift let alone a day.

I cant agree with using a Quad in a phone/tablet mix. It would hamper the lifetime of the device and be counter productive. If people are like myself and work 12+ hours a day and do not have the luxury of being near a plug cause they are constantly moving, no way a Quad core would last them. I can just make it with my Dual Core and a 1880mA as it is right now. I am in the teens with my battery % when I leave work and have to plug it in to my car charger on the way home. This would be so counter productive for people to use the Journal if that was the case.

I have my doubts that even with the 2200mA battery the Note has that it will last me an entire shift. I will have to not have Wifi, BT or any Sync on. I will have to make sure I got nothing running in the back ground as well. Then I bet it will last my entire shift. But if I leave everything I got going on now on, no way that phone will make it from 6am when I leave to 8pm when I walk back in the door.

People made the same argument's against dual cores when they first came out and ended up being completely wrong since all of the Android phones with the best battery life have dual core. Besides all of the dual core phones currently on the market are 45nm or 40nm whereas Exynos 4412 will be built on Samsungs new 32nm LP process which should allow for substantial energy savings.

Like it or not quad cores are the next step for phones and it's very likely that Exynos 4412 will be the chip that powers the Galaxy S3. If Samsung didn't want quad cores then why did they design one? Exynos 4412 has other advantages though, it will be clocked higher than current Exynos models (many people expect it to be 2ghz in the S3) and it also has the new Mali T604 gpu that's supposed to be 5x faster than the Mali 400 found in the Galaxy S2, a chip that is already the fastest gpu used in an Android device by a considerable margin

Yes Quad cores are the next step. When they are a bit further in the development to actually use them.

You cant argue that there is nothing out there right now that could even possibly use a Quad. Plus it is already shown that Quads use more power. So there is no gain at all from going to a Quad Core over a Dual Core at this time. That doesnt mean in the future. But right now and for at least the next 6 months. So that just proves my point and backs my point up that Quad Core is un-necessary at this time.

I dont care if they use the 32mn process or not. You are not going to gain that much in energy savings to have a Quad Core use as much as a Dual Core.

They designed one cause you are right it is the next step. But Android development is not along so far to use it. At least at the time when Dual Core was introduced, Android and Google were already working on supporting it. They just got full support with it in ICS. They are not even working on it for Quad Core. So what point would it be for Samsung to put it in a phone when it cant be used, wont be used and even with the Fastest GPU in the world, wont benefit from it? It would defeat the whole purpose of them developing it when it would just go to waste.

It wont be till at least Jelly Bean that Quad Support even begins. Since phone are still not even with ICS fully yet, I highly doubt that Samsung would shot themselves in the foot trying to put a Quad Core device, especially one locked down to Verizon and Sprint which wouldn't push Android updates as quickly as they are released cause of carrier requests, out there and destroy a great reputation.

You are only thinking small time. You forget that this will NOT be an international device, it will NOT be updated regularly and it WILL be hampered by the US carriers. So would like you to stop and fully think about them releasing a Quad Core device given the full limitations of Verizon and Sprint? Or continue to try and say that they will release a device that will be on Gingerbread, hampered by carriers but still contain a Quad Core that will eat their battery alive?

I know Quads are the future, but that future is not now. It will not be with the Journal. Not if Samsung was smart. They would release an international device with the Quad Core so that the updates would actually hit it sometime this year and not 2 years from now when they are beyond Jelly Bean.

Yes Quad cores are the next step. When they are a bit further in the development to actually use them.

You cant argue that there is nothing out there right now that could even possibly use a Quad. Plus it is already shown that Quads use more power. So there is no gain at all from going to a Quad Core over a Dual Core at this time. That doesnt mean in the future. But right now and for at least the next 6 months. So that just proves my point and backs my point up that Quad Core is un-necessary at this time.

I dont care if they use the 32mn process or not. You are not going to gain that much in energy savings to have a Quad Core use as much as a Dual Core.

They designed one cause you are right it is the next step. But Android development is not along so far to use it. At least at the time when Dual Core was introduced, Android and Google were already working on supporting it. They just got full support with it in ICS. They are not even working on it for Quad Core. So what point would it be for Samsung to put it in a phone when it cant be used, wont be used and even with the Fastest GPU in the world, wont benefit from it? It would defeat the whole purpose of them developing it when it would just go to waste.

It wont be till at least Jelly Bean that Quad Support even begins. Since phone are still not even with ICS fully yet, I highly doubt that Samsung would shot themselves in the foot trying to put a Quad Core device, especially one locked down to Verizon and Sprint which wouldn't push Android updates as quickly as they are released cause of carrier requests, out there and destroy a great reputation.

You are only thinking small time. You forget that this will NOT be an international device, it will NOT be updated regularly and it WILL be hampered by the US carriers. So would like you to stop and fully think about them releasing a Quad Core device given the full limitations of Verizon and Sprint? Or continue to try and say that they will release a device that will be on Gingerbread, hampered by carriers but still contain a Quad Core that will eat their battery alive?

I know Quads are the future, but that future is not now. It will not be with the Journal. Not if Samsung was smart. They would release an international device with the Quad Core so that the updates would actually hit it sometime this year and not 2 years from now when they are beyond Jelly Bean.

How is it proven that quad cores use more power? the only quad core Android device currently available is the Transformer Prime and it has excellent battery life. Also where have you seen that ICS does not support quads?

I don't see how you think releasing the most powerful phone on the market will ruin Samsungs reputation. Also if they did want to release a quad core phone Sprint and Verizon would be the perfect carriers for it since they actually update their devices. If anything was going to ruin their reputation it would have been the At&t Galaxy Note. Not only does it have a weak SoC that can't deliver the performance people expect based on the international version but At&t is also the slowest carrier to release updates assuming they even release them at all.

Samsung's 32nm HKMG process is a massive leap forward compared to 45nm and could possibly give them all the energy savings they need. Besides they could always use power gating like Intel does to decrease energy use even farther. Just look at the introduction of HKMG on the desktop, we went from 65nm Cedar Mill Pentium 4's to 45nm Core 2 Quads that used less power so there is no reason the same thing can't happen here.

If you don't think that kind of power is necessary that's fine, there are plenty of low end dual core devices to chose from out there. There are already mobile games out there that make use of quads and there are even more that could use the extra power the Mali T604 offers.

Galaxy Note is probably a little large for me. The screen is even bigger than the 5" screen on my PSV. And I already think that's too big for a phone.
While I really like OLED screens they are not amazing in every single way like people make them out to be. They have some quirks and negatives compared to LCD displays that's for sure.

It's kind of funny watching you guys talk about responsiveness and stuff though on android phones :p

Back
Top Bottom