Possible to get Smartphone without service to use apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idoun

Beta member
Hi all, I'm planning on getting a handheld device or a smartphone and would like some suggestions. My situation is:

I am a new runner and would like a device that can use GPS to track the distances I run. Previously I would go home and trace my route using Google Earth and plot out the distance to record in a journal but it is getting tedious and I am moving more toward running for prespecified lengths of time vs. distance routes but still need to record the distances. It seems that there are good apps such as RunkeeperPro that apparently do not need an Internet connection to work, but just needs GPS.

Would like to be able to store audiobooks on the device that I can also use portable headphones with.

Since these 2 will be my only use for the device it doesn't seem worth it to spend $30/month for internet or more for cell phone service. Can I buy an unlocked phone without service and somehow get these apps onto the device? As far as I know apps and phones will still work without a service plan. Is there a non-phone device that can do something like this?

Much thanks!

I have a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V with Android 2.2 on it ($150), my plan is only $25 for unlimited data and 300 minutes. I don't use the phone very often but I use the 3G data a lot. It's pretty handy with all the apps you can get free.

Does it come with unlimited night and weekend minutes?

Was looking on Virgin Mobile's website, and it apparently doesn't come with unlimited night or weekend minutes. However, it occurred to me that one can use unlimited Internet as a phone by getting Google voice and placing and receiving calls through gmail. I wonder if anyone has tried this. The free phone calls might only be through 2011, though:

Gmail Users to Get Free Phone Calls Through 2011

Looked into getting a Skype number but you would have to pay for it. If the Internet could just be used as a phone this would solve all the problems. Also looked into using magicjack (which I have at home) through a phone, but it seems to have stopped working:

How to make VOIP calls on iPhone using MagicJack Connection and Siphon « JavaChap Blog

I didn't want to get an Internet service plan for $30/month or more for just the 2 features I was looking for so this is why I was looking for 1 without service OR if it included the cell phone plan then it would be fine which the previous poster mentioned. So the question is whether apps would work including GPS dependent ones and could I store audiobooks and use wireless headphones, all without having Internet access/Wifi or optionally a cell phone plan.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use an iphone (either 3 or 4) with Virgin Mobile? Have been thinking about consolidating phone service with 1 device and with Skype one can get a new phone number and unlimited calling in the US for about $60/year through the unlimited data plan, but apparently one cannot use a Skype phone number on an Android phone, only with the iphone.

Found the answer to my question, it isn't possible to use an iphone with Virgin Mobile in the US because they use the CDMA network (not GSM) and to get Virgin Mobile service you have to use the serial number on the phone, therefore one can only use Virgin Mobile-branded phones. There might be a way to illegally use a non virgin mobile branded phone but I'm not sure.

Decided to go with the LG Optimus V and after I try out the apps and Wifi will consider getting Virgin Mobile service.

Why couldnt you get an unlocked iPhone from Verizon? They are GSM based not CDMA. If Virgin has their service locked down so that you can only used a Virgin based phone, that is their right. But there are GSM based iPhones out there. That is exactly what the Verizon iPhone is.

Hi all, ... would like a device that can use GPS to track the distances I run. ... It seems that there are good apps such as RunkeeperPro that apparently do not need an Internet connection to work, but just needs GPS.

... doesn't seem worth it to spend $30/month for Internet or more for cell phone service. Can I buy an unlocked phone without service and somehow get these apps onto the device? As far as I know apps and phones will still work without a service plan. Is there a non-phone device that can do something like this?

Much thanks!
The Phone will come with a USB Cable.

You might want to get a Phone with WiFi since:

• You can use the Browser at home and at HotSpots.
  • It will (likely) be easier to transfer files by WiFi instead of by USB (or BT) (faster sync than BT, no hookup like USB).
  • Some Applications expect an Internet Connection and don't expect USB (they like/expect you to have paid for Internet Access), Wifi will usually work as an Internet Connection.
  • If you decide to keep the Phone and pay for hookup WiFi will still save HUGE if you use HotSpot Browsing.
  • Some GPS Apps use 'WiFi Location Service' to get a fast fix so GPS can figure out where you are and lock-in quicker.
  • You can Skype or Fring with WiFi and thus have a 'working' Phone (for FREE).

Non-Phone Device:

• You could get a GPS Tablet but a tiny one is expensive (like an unlocked Phone) and a large one too big to jog with.
  • They make 'Jogger's GPSes' but you are usually limited to the Manufacturer's Program (and whatever 3rd Party Apps you can find).

Just putting my 2cents in on this:

If you were to decide on an Android device for this task (you could just find a used phone on eBay that has a bad ESN since you don't need it hooked up to cell service), there's a couple apps that prefetch and store maps for later use so you can use it while your device is not connected to any network, just GPS. One is called MapDroyd and the other is called Maverick. I prefer Maverick because I like it's interface better than MapDroyd, and also has access to all the Google map types (regular, satellite, hybrid, and terrain), as well as other map sources; but MapDroyd has more map source choices for worldwide as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom