Pantech Crossover Root

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj_extreme

Daemon Poster
Wondering if anyone else has this phone? Picked one up for a family member about a month ago, since he wanted an Android, but needs a physical keyboard. (And it was on sale) Now he finds out he loves Android, and wants this phone rooted. I'm completely stuck. I can't find anything on rooting it. It's running 2.2 Froyo right now. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Why does he want to Root it? I have been using Android for over a year and have yet to find a real reason to Root it other than to install Custom ROMS. But your best spot for information will be XDA.

(How To) Root your pantech crossover. 2.2.1 p8000 - xda-developers
But that is the only thread I see on their site about it. It is an older device that not many people want support for. Most people are into the newer Android devices.

Custom ROM. That's why. And it isn't THAT old, granted it came out a few months ago, but he's stuck with it until my 2 year contract is up, so I'm trying to make it "better" for him.

Custom ROM. That's why. And it isn't THAT old, granted it came out a few months ago, but he's stuck with it until my 2 year contract is up, so I'm trying to make it "better" for him.

Does the Crossover have any custom roms available for it? I haven't seen any but there may be some out there.

If custom roms are something he is really interested in he may want to look into picking up a used Samsung Captivate. Of all the phones At&t has offered it has/had by far the largest development community with dozens of high quality Android 2.2 and 2.3 roms to chose from as well as a official port of Cyanogenmod which hopefully means it will be getting a Android 4.0 rom as well. The only downside is it does not have a physical keyboard but sadly the only phone with one that had really good third party support was the original Motorola Droid on Verizon.

The Pantech Crossover was released in May. In terms of mobile devices, that is old. My Motorola Atrix was released in February and is already pretty much not supported anymore by Motorola cause they released a new version recently. Not to mention the fact that Pantech devices are not really that popular among many in the modding community. XDA is going to be the best source for this type of stuff of Android Central. But I havent seen much of anything on either site in regards to the Pantech Crossover.

Does the Crossover have any custom roms available for it? I haven't seen any but there may be some out there.

If custom roms are something he is really interested in he may want to look into picking up a used Samsung Captivate. Of all the phones At&t has offered it has/had by far the largest development community with dozens of high quality Android 2.2 and 2.3 roms to chose from as well as a official port of Cyanogenmod which hopefully means it will be getting a Android 4.0 rom as well. The only downside is it does not have a physical keyboard but sadly the only phone with one that had really good third party support was the original Motorola Droid on Verizon.

Actually, I have found some custom ROM's for it, so that's not the issue. And I'm not buying him (who is my son, btw) another a used phone, last 2 times I bought used phones we had trouble.. I don't blame him on the physical keyboard thing, either. Why is it only the low end devices that get them? :p So, if I want to switch over carriers, or get another couple of Android phones from at&t, which ones (that are well supported by the modding community) should I look at? I'm currently on a Blackberry, and my phone is due for an upgrade. (thank god..)

Again check XDA and Android Central. XDA is the modding community. They are where almost all the Custom ROMS are released through. Why are the low end devices released with a keyboard? Cause they require them so you can use the device. The on screen keyboard on the high end devices is just as good if not better than the low end devices. No breaking of the keys or stuck keys. Just your top notch screen that you have to tap to get the result you want. ;)

That is fine, but you might want to suggest the Samsung Captivate Glide then. It has far more options out there and still has the physical keyboard. Just note that there isnt much support on the major modding sites. You will have to find some less known modders and sites to assist you with this device.

I just picked up an HTC Vivid today, no more BB! I do miss the physical keyboard, but I'll live. My son went with the Galaxy S 2. Now, if I have trouble rooting that phone, I give up. But thanks for the suggestion, KSOD, that phone looked really good, though it wasn't out yet, and I needed a new phone, so I had to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom