Nexus 7 or Wait for Windows 8?

Druid

Fully Optimized
So, I'm thinking about a tablet to increase my productivity at school. Look at notes and such. We have a yes here? I'm just speculating. I'm buying this purely on the notion that it will help me be productive since I don't bring a laptop around with me. It takes too long too boot and takes up a lot of space.

The question is, should I wait for windows 8 tablets or get this? I've never seen windows 8 in action, so I don't know what to say here. And price is an issue too, why I don't get an ipad.

Can anyone give me some insight in this decision?

I would recommend you to go for the nexus 7. The microsoft windows 8 is not user friendly and most applications are paid when compared Google's Android which has many free apps.

Your said your intended use would be to look at notes? Tablets are pretty good for looking at docs and such, not so good at creating docs since they lack a decent keyboard.

My son uses his tablet to read many of the required books for his classes. Not all are available but it seems every semester more and more are available. The tablet works great for that.

Your said your intended use would be to look at notes? Tablets are pretty good for looking at docs and such, not so good at creating docs since they lack a decent keyboard.

A bluetooth keyboard can solve that problem if you want a physical keyboard. They come in different sizes (pocket-sized ones to full-size / thin ones). Wouldn't be bad to carry around alongside a tablet. I believe Android natively supports BT keyboards as well.

I would recommend you to go for the nexus 7.
Agreed.
The microsoft windows 8 is not user friendly
Not true, and even if it were it would be irrelevant. When used with a touchscreen, Windows 8 is the most user-friendly Windows yet (now, when used without one is another matter...)
and most applications are paid when compared Google's Android which has many free apps.
This isn't true. Windows 8 hasn't released to the public yet. The only users at the moment are MSDN and Dreamspark subscribers, which is likely less than 1% of what the total number of users will be in a few months. As a result, there's a very small number of apps for it. Which are currently about half paid and half free. Once officially released, there will be a surge in the number of apps on there, and chances are most of them will be free.

Last edited:
Guys, remember, it's Windows. Not a completely new platform. People KNOW HOW to make apps :p

Kinda. It's different in terms of UI development for Metro. But otherwise it's mostly same supported languages underneath.

The main advantage to getting a Surface Tablet, the new Windows 8 tablets, is that getting the one version will come with Office, but as stated, it will not be $200 for a price tag. They are saying they will be a few hundred cheaper than some laptops, but never state which one. My guess is that the Surface devices will go for about $400 or more depending on if you get the ARM based model or not. The Pro model will be much more. Probably $600 since it has a full version of Windows 8.

The argument about Windows have paid programs is null. As to use any real Office program that is compatible with Office Documents that will be used at school and their PC's will cost you money. Office Suites on Android are not free that are compatible with .doc and .docx files. Office Suit Pro for Android is $15 for the full version. Quick Office is also $15. Those are going to be the Apps that are needed for intercompatibility with the documents made on the school computers and the Nexus 7 tablet. Since compatibility is going to be what is needed, paid apps are going to have to be purchased in order to use it for school purposes negating the whole "Microsoft has pay per use apps" aspect.

But in the end, you will save money going with the Nexus 7 over a Surface tablet.

Back
Top Bottom