New phone needed- help

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
Have a 5 yr old Droid Turbo that is dying a slow death= battery no longer holds a charge for more than 1/2 day - even with minimum use. My carrier is "Business Verizon" and I have a reasonable deal now = 5 phone's, 16 GB data, unlimited call/text for $250/month ( all other phones besides mine are newer iphones and under contract til the end of 2018) . I am "eligible" for a new phone and have been for 2 years. I have no idea want I want other than a reliable fairly simple Android phone with a 3.5mm headphone jack. I do not game on my phone. Some Facebook and business apps and internet searching/posting, mostly text,call.

My short list includes :

1) Samsung galaxy 7 = 99 cents with a 2 yr contract, or $30 with a 1 yr. plus my line charge does up $13 a month ( this is consistent with all phones).
2) Samsung galaxy 8 = $200 2 yr, $300 1 yr.
3) Motorola Z2 play 32GB = free 2 yr
4) Motorola Z2 force 64GB = $150 2yr, $280 1 yr.

Any thoughts on what you would do would be appreciated?

Of those I would go for the Moto Z2 Play. Great battery life, decent speed, cheap, plus you can slap on a battery pack Moto Mod and chug along for a few days between charges if you wanted to do so.

The S7 is still a darn nice device. My daughter is still on hers.

The screen on the Moto Z2 Force scratches easily but is basically unbreakable. Other than that it is faster than the Play but with less battery life.

A friend has the S8 and really likes it. That's about all I've got for that one.

LOL- so more confusion. Cheaper is always better. I am sure any of these phones will blow away my 5 yr old Droid Turbo- so the speed is relative. My Verizon business rep suggested the S8- said the feedback on the new Motorola phones isn't too good. I will go "shopping" today and actually hold the phones "in hand" to see if that helps ruling any of them out. I just found a website that says the Z2 force does NOT have a head phone jack - so that out. I have difficulty remembering to charge the phone - I do not want to worry about charging bluetooth headphones as well.

Last edited:
My MiL has a Moto G4 and it seems to be a solid phone, and I bought my mom a Moto E4 and she loves it. I think the Verizon dude is just looking to make a buck or two.

I am actually considering getting a Moto E5 Plus through Cricket. Larger screen, big battery. I thought about the Moto Z3 Play but am not willing to dish out 500 for it. Hell, I could buy a OnePlus for that.

Well , because i have been paying for $10/mo insurance on my Droid phone( actually forgot to take it off) they r sending me a new ( probably refurbished) Droid phone. Should suffice me until end of the year - other phones come off contracts. Then I can shop carriers as well as new phone option.

Hello acerinpa! Why are you not considering any mode of the iPhone?! I understand that they can come at a pretty fat sum, but I really believe that they can be value for money. I have had mine for six years now and even if I have had to change the battery once, I did not face any other major inconveniences. I will never be able to suggest an Android device! :-/

Well- basically because I am used to my Android. I don't have anything against an iphone. But its very different from the Android I have now - us old guys don't learn new things fast and I am thinking I wont like that. My kids and wife all have iphones ( 7's and 6's) . The wife cant figure out how to get it to work in her car to bluetooth, my android has no trouble. The iphones in my house also do not pick up our wifi as well as my Android- so they switch over to use data (4G) automatically ( even if told not to). We have had overcharges related to this on twitch and redit. Not saying that is the way all iphone's are- just don't want the same headaches.

Back
Top Bottom