My Nexus 7 Review

Nice :p

I really like the Nexus 7. Cheap as hell, so I wouldnt expect a SD card slot or HDMI. Hell, I only use HDMI for connecting to the TV as a monitor for my home pc!

Since Google recently introduced the 32G N7 at $249 and dropped the price of the 16G N7 from $249 to $199, the Google tablets are an even better deal.

I personally think the N7 is superior to the recently released iPad Mini but the Mini will be a runaway success simply because it's an Apple and it's "hip" to own an Apple.

^^I don't have a tablet of any form, been waiting for them to mature, just one thing has always bugged me and that was the limited storage space on them. Once I saw the price of the Nexus 7 I figured I would try to save up and grab one, but I may wait and see if an SD slot of some form is added into another lineup in another year or two, as I would rather have a small case full of 32 and 64GB SD cards for my tv shows... Most my anime series are ~30GB per season, and this would be interesting to have for long trips where I can sit and watch mah anime :3

I think a MicroSD slot in a nexus device won't happen. They want to make use of their services like Google Drive, so you can use it instead of a MicroSD. But this is really something that is not good in your case. That doesn't really matter to me, as I used only 1.7GB out of the 13GB user accessible storage on my tablet. :p Unfortunately there was only a 16GB version of my tablet (Galaxy Tab 7 Plus), so I got it.

You can get some tablets at the price of Nexus 7, like Acer Iconia Tab A110 , Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 With the price of the Nexus 7 but with a microSD card slot up to 32GB. Microsoft Surface with Windows RT also has a microSD slot but for up to 64GB, but it is at a much higher price tag.

I've had an 8G Nexus 7 since they first came out, have lots of apps installed and still have 4.3G of free space on it. I don't store any movies or music on it which are huge storage hogs.

When connected to wifi, I can stream music from sites such as Pandora and video from various sites such as Netflix or I can even access my home satellite setup to watch recorded or live programming on my satellite receiver. I can also access music, video, pics, etc... from DropBox and other similar sites.

When no wifi connection is available, I have an OTG cable that allows me to attach as large as a 64G SD card with music, video, pics, etc... If need be, I could carry multiple SD cards and swap them easily to have virtually unlimited storage.

I really don't regret buying the 8G and, if I were to purchase a 2nd N7, would probably buy the 16G and pass on the 32G since I would prefer to keep the additional $50 in my pocket.

My son is about to purchase an N7 and we were talking about it last night. He said he will probably get the 16G N7 since he has a phone with 16G of storage and hasn't come close to filling that.

Last edited:
Good luck trying to get the broken screen fixed on it... :rolleyes:

I couldn't help but to kind of LOL at this, because.. well... I did end up having a cracked screen on my Nexus 7. Are you ready to hear how much of a headache it was to replace? ASUS repaired it under warranty at no cost to me. I had called them a few times for status updates, at which point I often took the opportunity to remind them that I won't be paying for the repair since I didn't mishandle my device, but in the end they took care of it headache-free. I had my device back in a week.

Especially in the earlier models there was an issue which is slowly growing less common with the Nexus 7's which caused some degree of screen lift on the left side. This was due to the plastic skeleton getting thinner at one point to make room for a ribbon cable to run through. The side effect was due to the lesser amount of plastic for the screen to sit on, it thereby had less adhesive to hold it down in place - hence the screen lift only on the left side. More and more I'm hearing less about it, but it's something that is out in the wild.

I don't think my screen lift was due to failing adhesive, though. To be quite honest I'm not sure if my screen was mounted flush in the first place. I say this because my screen cracked under very easy circumstances, which goes directly against how well the Nexus 7 did in continual drop tests. Continually I've seen the Nexus 7 come out on top in drop tests against various other tablets, including the iPad. Considering how rigid it was in these tests, it stands to reason that there was something else going on with my tablet that caused the easy crack.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. ASUS took care of it quickly and I had it back in good shape. Some users have reported that they had screen lift and just put some super glue in the edge of the bezel and rubber banded it together for a few hours, then reported months later everything is still perfect.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Nexus 7, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I may have hit a road block along the way with my screen but it was taken care of. I didn't just get a free case with it to band-aid the issue, I had the whole dang screen replaced. Fun fact - if you Google for iPad screen crack stories, you'll see nearly identical conversations going on. Until we can have LCD screens that are 2mm thick yet bullet proof, I think this will be a reality for all manufacturers.

What's interesting is as time goes on we're discovering there's more possibilities on the table than we ever thought for these tablets. We've integrated about 60 of them into the high school and so far they are doing great. There's countless ideas on the table... for example, if we go 1 to 1 (one device per student) and the Nexus 7 is chosen (which is a likely candidate), then we would effectively have an e-reader that can replace all of the text books that they have (HUGE savings) plus we could rig it up to do different things, such as having a passbook app and utilize NFC tags to auto-input the time gone/back. Genius.

In fact, the more that time goes on, the more I realize just how much I was missing out using non-Nexus devices before. As a former tablet hater (after all, who wants to pay 500 for a mediocre tablet when a 400 dollar laptop can outperform it in every way?), this gizmo is changing my tune quite a bit due to its size, price, and solid performance.

I've had an 8G Nexus 7 since they first came out, have lots of apps installed and still have 4.3G of free space on it. I don't store any movies or music on it which are huge storage hogs.

When connected to wifi, I can stream music from sites such as Pandora and video from various sites such as Netflix or I can even access my home satellite setup to watch recorded or live programming on my satellite receiver. I can also access music, video, pics, etc... from DropBox and other similar sites.

When no wifi connection is available, I have an OTG cable that allows me to attach as large as a 64G SD card with music, video, pics, etc... If need be, I could carry multiple SD cards and swap them easily to have virtually unlimited storage.

I really don't regret buying the 8G and, if I were to purchase a 2nd N7, would probably buy the 16G and pass on the 32G since I would prefer to keep the additional $50 in my pocket.

My son is about to purchase an N7 and we were talking about it last night. He said he will probably get the 16G N7 since he has a phone with 16G of storage and hasn't come close to filling that.

Really nice to see someone confirming the support of this tablet for OTG. It is weird it is not mentioned on GSMArena specs.

I didn't intend to mislead but support for OTG is somewhat lacking. As delivered, there is no support for OTG but if you root and use an app called Stickmount you can have read/write access via OTG. My N7 isn't rooted so I use an app called Nexus Media Importer which provides read only access via OTG.

Back
Top Bottom