Moto X not reading emojis correctly

Yerfdog

In Runtime
I recently got a Moto X around Christmas time. At first, I hadn't updated it, so at the time it couldn't read the emojis people had sent me in the texts; all the words got split up with spaces, and the emojis just showed up as question marks and equals signs instead of the picture they were supposed to be. They told me to update to 4.4, which I did, and even though I can now send them the same ones, my phone still can't read theirs. Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how to fix it?

I recently got a Moto X around Christmas time. At first, I hadn't updated it, so at the time it couldn't read the emojis people had sent me in the texts; all the words got split up with spaces, and the emojis just showed up as question marks and equals signs instead of the picture they were supposed to be. They told me to update to 4.4, which I did, and even though I can now send them the same ones, my phone still can't read theirs. Does anyone know what the problem could be, and how to fix it?

Sorry but it can't be fixed so just send it to me. :p

What are you using as your defualt messaging app?

The Messaging app that comes with the phone, that is a green text bubble that's a rounded rectangle with a white smile in the middle.

(Sorry for the late reply, I'd forgotten I'd posted this. >_>)

I know with Go SMS and the emoji plugin, the emoji do not show up in Android's default message app. May be the same thing. You may need the same app as sent the emoji.

You might want to try Hangouts too. It has emoji support. Just enable SMS in the app and you're good to go :p

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

I know with Go SMS and the emoji plugin, the emoji do not show up in Android's default message app. May be the same thing. You may need the same app as sent the emoji.

Hmm... I'll ask what app they're using the next time I talk to them.

EDIT: I checked. We are using the same app. They can see mine, I can't see theirs, even though they're the same emojis.

Last edited:
Are they using the Emoji Keyboard? What phone do they have? Cause it doesnt matther what app they are using if they are on a different device. Each device is unique. As iFargle said, using Hangouts will allow any device. But the built in Messaging App might not have the support. It depends on if HTC, Samsung, Moto, LG, ZTE or one of the many others adds that support or not. From the sounds of it Moto removed the support so your only option would be to use something like Hangouts, 8SMS or Go SMS to get the support you need now.

We are both using the same phone- the Moto X. Both have been updated to the same version #, Android version 4.4. We're both using the same, default messaging app. They can see mine, I can't see theirs.

The only thing I can think of is that they might have a separate emoji app installed.
Both of you install Hangouts. It makes it easier. I even get Emoji's from iPhones (didn't get them on the default app)

Back
Top Bottom