Mobile World Congress 2018 [Smartphones]

steve10765

Daemon Poster
MWC 2018 is right around the corner! Starting from February 26th to March 1st we get to see the latest products from budget to flagship brands, and advances such as 5G connectivity coming to reality. What sparks your interest this year?
Further Reading

So today my lovely $250 Huawei Honor 6x took a fall and has a minor crack through the front camera :( It still works decently but not without looking like I have some sort of filter. Also she's getting a little slow notably reducing my productivity. I'm now in search for a new $200-$250 budget phone, but with MWC only a week away I'm thinking I should wait to see for the offerings. Any recommendations?
I looked at the$200 Honor 7x but after researching the CPU it's essentially the same one but with a 200mhz clock increase. That doesn't seem worth it since I can just root and OC this one.
@Trotter, you excited for the potential Zenphone 5?

I walked away from the Zenfone line when Asus decided to try to rape the public with their prices starting with the ZF3. Decreased specs and much higher prices equal a big NOPE from me. Sad, really.

The 7X looks darn nice. Xiaomi just took the covers off of the Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro. But the Redmi Note 4 is as good as the Redmi Note 5 as they have the same CPU with the 4 have a 4100mAh battery with the 5 having a 4000mAh battery. The 5 Pro has a SD636 vs the SD624 of the 4/5, with a 4000mAh battery and dual rear cameras. The 5/5 Pro have the 18:9 form factor like the 7X, though.

I currently have a ZTE Axon 7 which is an awesome phone but I don't look for ZTE to unveil much there. They have a new low/mid ranger that is supposed to come out but it is inferior to the 7X from what I have seen.

The Xiaomi Mi A1 is another nice one. Check out Youtube for a load of great reviews on it.

If you don't mind an older flagship the LG V20 is a darn nice one. My nephew just got one a couple of months ago and loves it.

I've spent the past half hour checking out the phones you mentioned. I'm really into the Redmi Note 5 Pro, it looks like a really solid phone with a good camera. I'd put it ahead of the Honor 7x on my list from the limited reviews I've read, thanks for the recommendation.
Check this out https://www.androidauthority.com/zte/

No thanks. I checked it out when it released but it is too gimmicky for me. I have been seeing stuff about the Axon 9 (they are skipping 8 as it sounds vulgar in Chinese) but if they diverge too much from what makes the Axon 7 great i will pass... plus the price is rumored to be about 600 which is way too high for me.

Edit: Check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P3KkYGITyU

Last edited:
I'm hoping we see the Moto g6 series. I saw some images a while back and they look sweet. Only down side is they appear to have a glass back now. Just more stuff that can break. Hope it still has a headphone jack

@Trotter, I too was kind of appalled by Asus's sharp increase in price. I wanted to try out Google's VR stuff so I was going to buy a "cheap" new Asus phone to play with. Big fat nope lol. For the money I'd rather get a Razer phone.

Honestly, I'm over smart phones. To me they've hit their peak in diverse advancement. Now you just decide what hardware suite will fit your needs and pick your brand. (Or Apple if iOS is your thing). I'm currently looking at all these phones mentioned myself because I can't use emulators on my iPhone 7 and I want to take advantage of my 8bitdo controller. My Xperia Z3 just doesn't cut it for faster paced games. I've also just been going back and forth on going back to Android permanently. Personally I'm more excited about 5g than anything else in the phone space.

Honor 7x or Mi A1....hmmm. Think I'm leaning more towards the A1.

Honor 7x or Mi A1....hmmm. Think I'm leaning more towards the A1.

Your the go-to person to talk about CPU's, but I want mention again that my Honor 6x can be laggy, especially around Snapchat. If the 7x essentially has the same CPU with only a 200Mhz clock increase, the 7x might not cut it. Keep in mind I have no idea how demanding the emulator is.

The Redmi Note 5 Pro is $285 :( The thing is camera quality is important to me, it really grinds my gears when I can't take a quality photo, including low light conditions.

Last edited:
Your the go-to person to talk about CPU's, but I want mention again that my Honor 6x can be laggy, especially around Snapchat. If the 7x essentially has the same CPU with only a 200Mhz clock increase, the 7x might not cut it. Keep in mind I have no idea how demanding the emulator is.

The Redmi Note 5 Pro is $285 :( The thing is camera quality is important to me, it really grinds my gears when I can't take a quality photo, including low light conditions.
My Z3 almost handles the emulator perfectly and it has a SD801. If I did anything I'd get the Mi A1 due to it having the Snapdragon 625 and more features I'd use over the Honor 7x. The SD625 should be sufficient for emulating SNES and has a standard 16:9 ratio screen. It also has a faster wifi radio and a type C connector with quick charge. Try to remember for me this wouldn't be my everyday phone.

In terms of phones being laggy, this is usually in part due to whatever bloatware is on the phone mixed with whatever UI setup they are using. The 7x technically benchmarks better than the A1 but it's also more expensive. For a phone I'm using as a game device I don't want to spend that much. If I permanently went to Android I'd get a Razer phone.

Back
Top Bottom