Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacher

Fully Optimized
Hey Guys,

What's the best ebook reader out there in your opinion?
Who here has a kindle? Can you transfer your PDF's freely to the device?

Thanks,
Preacher

I have a Kindle (3rd gen WiFi), and yes you can. It connects as a storage device and you can copy anything to and from it. If you're curious how a particular PDF looks you can send it to me and I'll take a photo of it on my Kindle.

I have the 3rd Gen Wifi as well, got it mostly for my certs and spare time on the bus. Outdoors is excellent, no glares what so ever and indoors you just need good enough lighting as it does not have a back light. Also for any PDF file you transfer it is not always going to be readable, Ebooks have there own specific format (AZW) but can also be converted with amazons service. The zoom-in feature is fixed as well, you cant do a custom Zoom-in-out to your liking which bugged me.

Other wise the kindle is awesome, besides the annoying screensaver advertisements.

Also for any PDF file you transfer it is not always going to be readable, Ebooks have there own specific format (AZW) but can also be converted with amazons service.
.azw files are just .mobi files with Amazon's DRM. As a result it also reads .mobi files fine too.

Other wise the kindle is awesome, besides the annoying screensaver advertisements.
Well if you don't want the ads you shouldn't have got the ad-supported version :p

Well basically what i'm debating is this.
1. I won't be buying books I'll be getting free ones *cough*.
2. Does converting a pdf to mobi work well in most cases?

Thanks again,
Preach

I've looked at some tests and I actually chose the Nook Color. I need to see a lot of graphs/equations and I save time on converting pdfs to anything else, especially since some PDFs (like networking books) are a good 200mb+. I also just recently got my hands on a kindle and while it's awesome for literature, I don't see it working good for pdf files - mainly due to problems with contrasting pictures and the screen size - you have to move the screen constantly to read some files while in my Nook Color I can either transform the PDF into plain-text or I can flip it and read it horizontally.

But the issue here is that the Nook Color doesnt have an e-ink screen. So it can not be read in direct sunlight. Since the user is asking about the Kindle, I am willing to bet this is a feature that they want. So they would have to go with the Nook Touch over the Nook Color for this reason as well. Then they would have this same issue since the Nook Color is jsut a simplified Android Tablet. The Nook Touch is just an e-reader just like the Kindle.

I am probably going to get the Kindle Fire...
I am really new to the whole tablet world... So basically it runs android? Can I put pdfs on it, without having to convert them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom