iPhone 5 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
this article describes the hardware and software updates. these are still subject to change before release.

The new iPhone… | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Mark Gurman
September 26, 2011 at 5:00 am

If you crack open the casing of the new iPhone, you will find significant upgrades from the iPhone 4. The new iPhone features Apple's dual-core A5 processor like the iPad 2 for even faster performance, better gaming, and drastically improved graphics. Apple didn't stop there though. Unlike the iPad 2, the new iPhone packs 1GB of RAM, according to a source familiar with the SOC's manufacturing.

The new iPhone will also feature an upgraded camera system. In terms of hardware, the new camera is an 8 megapixel sensor that takes incredibly high-resolution and clear shots, even in low light conditions because it has a backlit sensor. Also, panorama photography references have been found in the iOS SDK on multiple occasions which means we'll likely see that feature. Other than that, the camera front-end system is reportedly mostly the same.

The new iPhone also contains Qualcomm Gobi Baseband chips that allow it to operate on both GSM and CDMA networks. We can't yet confirm or deny the rumors that Apple was building a virtual SIM card system or if it has an NFC chip yet, however.

Although some may be happy with the new iPhone's substantial internal hardware boosts, the new device's biggest selling point is actually a software feature called Assistant. As we first revealed, Assistant is Apple's Siri-inspired, system-wide voice navigation system. It so far appears that iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS users will be left out in the fun, unfortunately, because the feature requires the A5 CPU and additional RAM.

the article continues to talk about what assistant can do.

I'm a little wary, simply because the US often forgets that other people exist not everyone sounds like they do. Voice control for computers has always been kinda broken whenever I tried it over here, so I'm not holding out too much hope for this :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom